Here\'s one ambiguous article

15 years 1 month ago #25305 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Here\'s one ambiguous article
I agree with ALL the above. There is bladder cancer, and there is bladder cancer. Treatment of very early papillary with BCG or RC would be overkill. Not treating CIS or more advanced papillary would be malpractice. And this article makes no differentiation.

Sorry, I know I am "preaching to the choir."

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 1 month ago #25291 by sydelle
Replied by sydelle on topic Here\'s one ambiguous article
simply unbelievable,if not tragic....We are to remain optimistic and quiet as sheep, as long as no symptoms evolve, but when they do appear,,,HELLO too late

15 years 1 month ago #25285 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Here\'s one ambiguous article
Hi Pat,

I was wondering when this article was going to hit the forum!

Boy, would I love to get my hands on the orignal research write-up, i.e. sample size, definitions, what's definition of aggressive, populations from which sample was taken, was the sample random, how were the costs calculated, what stat tests were used, etc.!! If I didn't know better I'd think you included this article to get me to "chime in"! :laugh: But you know what, by golly, we, now, seem to be more critical when we read these studies. And, that's good.

Thank you for your contributions to the forum.

Gordon

p.s. One reason for the medicare bias is because that is one of the few good data-bases available - so it really gets "mined". Unfortunately, it really isn't applicable to younger populations. But, unfortunately, that doesn't seem to stop a lot of the young researchers who have to produce reasearch to keep their jobs. One man's opinion. mine. :)

age 70
Dx 10/03
neobladder 9/4/04

15 years 1 month ago #25281 by balihigh
Replied by balihigh on topic Here\'s one ambiguous article
I read this article in Uro Today on April 8 and I did not like it either. I sometimes think the insurance companies sponsor such findings since bladder cancer is very expensive to treat.
Balihigh

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

15 years 1 month ago #25277 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Here\'s one ambiguous article
Wonder how they would feel if it was themselves facing this disease. Bet they would go as aggresive as they could. Have read a lot of articles in the last couple of weeks that are based on medicare statistics. There is a nasty underlying current to them that imply that we spend to much money trying to cure the elderly. It gives me a sick feeling. I also wonder how narrow their view is. It is not just those of retirement age that face these issues, but they only looked at those statistics.

I have to agree with Pat this infuriates me.

Webs

15 years 1 month ago #25267 by Patricia
Here\'s one ambiguous article was created by Patricia
There are so many variables in this article i can't believe they even printed it.......it is infuriating.
www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSTRE5375X120090408
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne