Question Re Stage II Bladder Cancer

10 months 5 days ago #61864 by Neelloo2626
Replied by Neelloo2626 on topic Question Re Stage II Bladder Cancer
Dear Alan: 

Again, a MASSIVE thank you for your quick response.  I am taking this information to my uncle and his son.  

Really really appreciate it. 

Best, 

Nilu 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 months 5 days ago - 10 months 5 days ago #61863 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Question Re Stage II Bladder Cancer
OK. I doubt your URO has gotten the biopsy back yet showing high grade or low grade and stage? Get a copy of his records (they are the patients property). Often, a second TURB  and opinion is done to confirm what is seen and USC will probably do this. Sometimes this can make a big difference on treatment. If this is stage 2, most will tell him to have a cystectomy however, I also read your uncle has some compromised health issues so that might come into play. Directly to your quality of life and expectancy question. There are MANY that have had a cystectomy (some that post here) that are enjoying close to normal lives, and life expectancy. Everyone reacts differently to their situation. Take it one day at a time. That is all you can control.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neelloo2626

10 months 5 days ago #61862 by Neelloo2626
Replied by Neelloo2626 on topic Question Re Stage II Bladder Cancer
Good Morning Alan-

Thanks a million for the quick response.  The doctor actually did the biopsy on 6/21 and said it went to the bladder wall and into the muscle.  He waited 3 months  to do the surgery- told my uncle it was no big deal and had him wait three months- to perform the biopsy.  I am hopeful the doctor at USC can give us some useful information as I think his treatment has been subpar at his current hospital. 

Thank you again for the quick response. 

Best, 

Nilu 

10 months 5 days ago - 10 months 5 days ago #61861 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Question Re Stage II Bladder Cancer
Welcome,

Stage 2? Without a biopsy? You really know nothing at this point. One bit of encouragement is a mass of less than 2 CM is considered smaller in bladder cancer. The best thing you are doing is getting to a teaching hospital/ bladder cancer center like USC or Stanford. I don't understand why your URO at Hoag didn't do a biopsy/TURB which is usually day surgery and probably a CT scan to check the whole urinary tract. When you get more information, please ask further questions. None of us are doctors but, volunteers that "have been there and done that". Having knowledge of a mass for 3 months means you do need to get going and attack.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neelloo2626

10 months 5 days ago #61860 by Neelloo2626
Question Re Stage II Bladder Cancer was created by Neelloo2626
Hello: 

My uncle was diagnosed with Stage II Bladder Cancer.  Initially they detected a 1.5 mm mass in his bladder and the doctor at Hoag did not schedule a biopsy for three months.  The doctor now says the cancer is Stage II.  We are trying to transfer him to  USC but at this point, what is life expectancy and what does quality of life look like?  He is 71 and not in the best shape. 

My father had high grade bladder cancer but he was fortunate enough to have a doctor who caught it early and within 48 hours removed the cancer and he is getting monitored at Stanford. 

I am scared and worried for my uncle. 

Any advice on Stage II bladder cancer would be much appreciated! 

Thank you, 

Nilu 

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne