10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #61847 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Newbie
Addine to what Sara Anne has written. There are many protocols and everyone is different but, more than 6 on the initial induction is proven to be a benefit. The SWOG (Dr. Lamm) is probably te most common. Congratulations on getting that first 6 done! 

You are ultimately in charge. You can always make changes on maintenance as some simply can't tolerate the stronger doses to where it is cut 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 even to 1/10 if side effects are pronounced. Many are not able to complete 2 years however, I'd start it.  This is all doable even if no fun. As stated, this is a lot better than systemic chemo!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 months 2 weeks ago #61846 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Newbie
Welcome, Barry!  I know you didn't want to join us, but.....

As for BCG.  It is practically a miracle for those of us with non-invasive high grade bladder cancer.  I was diagnosed over 15 years ago with CIS (carcinoma in situ) as well as papillary tumors.  Without BCG I would have, at best, lost my bladder.  However, I did the initial BCG induction series and then maintenance doses for almost two years.  Been cancer-free ever since.

Yes, there are side effects from BCG but they are nothing compared to those from chemotherapy which would be necessary if the cancer spreads.  Most of these side effects are reactions of the immune system to BCG whose purpose is to stir up the immune system to fight the cancer.  Proof that it is working!  

I would highly recommend continuing BCG treatments as prescribed by your doctor.  If they work, and they do for a large number of bladder cancer patients, it can be life-saving.

Best of luck to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 months 2 weeks ago #61845 by BarryP
Newbie was created by BarryP
Hi, 
I have been diagnose here in Australia with carcinoma tumours on my my bladder wall, and have had my 6 week BCG instillations and am now waiting for a biopsy in 4 weeks time. 

I think I will be offered more BCG instillation no matter what the biopsy shows

I am wondering what other ongoing options are. I am concerned about having more BCG treatments which have potential health issues.

What do other forum members suggest ?

Maybe regular biopsies ???

Thank you, Barry 

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne