Question about radical cystectomy and urostomy and high blood pressure treatment

1 year 1 week ago #61741 by joea73
Foot and ankle swelling can be edema. 

Radical cystectomy removes many lymph nodes affecting in body's  lymphatic system. I know a couple patients who had radical cystectomy developed lymphedema.  In their case, they worked with physiotherapist who had special training on lymphedema. 

Below is a youtube explaining lymphedema.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #61739 by Alan
This really sounds like a question for your cardiologist more so than your urologist (or they should consult each other) or family doc. Beyond that I am of no help as I am not a doctor.doc.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

1 year 2 weeks ago #61738 by annieo
After numerous TURBTs and BCG treatment, my non muscle invasive bladder cancer morphed to muscle invasive, and I had my bladder removed at the end of November 2022.  All went well, and I'm adjusting to my new situation - I've even named my stoma "Stella" since she's always with me and seems to have a mind of her own!  I have had high blood pressure for a couple of years, and have been treated by my primary physician pretty successfully - a small dose of calcium channel blocker and unless I'm in the doctor's office (where my White Coat Hypertension takes off!) my bp has been pretty normal.  A few weeks ago, however, I started to develop foot and ankle swelling  and I think it's a side effect of the bp medication.  The doc agreed that I should cut down the dosage, but wants me to supplement it with a diuretic.  That's my question for you folks.  Because I no longer have a bladder, and because I'm worried about overworking my kidneys, I worry about whether it's a good thing to take a diuretic and risk dehydration or taxing my kidneys some other way.  I asked my doctor, who just stared blankly at me and said "I don't know, everyone reacts differently".  That answer may have decided me on starting a search for a new primary care doc, but it didn't answer my questions about whether taking a diuretic when you have an ileal conduit and a pouch is actually safe...   
Anyone out there have any experience with this?  I thought perhaps I should contact my urologist?  Or am I being silly and overly worried? 
Thanks for any input!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne