New to the Forum

1 year 1 month ago #61699 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic New to the Forum
Congratulations on having the second TURB!!  BCG is great for CIS in most cases and you are on the way to recovery!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago #61698 by m50finlayson
Replied by m50finlayson on topic New to the Forum
The second TURBT found CIS. So glad I decided to have it. I will begin BCG treatments April 5.

Matt

1 year 1 month ago #61670 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic New to the Forum
You were absolutely correct in opting for a second TURB!!  Especially since the first one had its  "issues."  

In my case, the first TURB showed papillary low grade cancer, but with areas of "unspecified irritation."  My uro chose to do a second TURB emphasizing those areas and they turned out to be carcinoma in situ (CIS) which is always high grade.  Thank goodness he used common sense (and the recommended standard of practice) and did the second surgery.  After BCG and maintenance I have now been cancer-free for almost 15 years.

Better safe than sorry!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: m50finlayson

1 year 1 month ago #61669 by m50finlayson
New to the Forum was created by m50finlayson
Hi All,I had a TURBT on Feb 7 2023. The pathology results were: - High-grade papillary urothelial carcinoma, with invasion into the lamina propia only- Muscularis propia is present and negative for tumor involovement.The TURBT was stressful for me in that the fulguration did not fully cauterize the surgical sites within my bladder. There was some significant blood post surgery in recovery. Unfortunately they had given me orange juice and a cookie, so I had to wait four hours before the doctor could go back in and redo the areas that were bleeding. I had to stay overnight in the hospital for observation. The next day I wnt home, catheter in tow. Three days later I removed the catheter.The following week I saw my urologist and he told me that he had a very good track record of removing all of the cancer in the first TURBT. He also said that the  American Urological Association guidelines recommend a repeat TURBT as a standard in cases of T1 disease when muscularis propria is not present. He said I could roll the dice and go with his track record or the AUA recommendation. I opted for the second TURBT. I am scheduled for Mar 7. This time I will refuse any OJ or cookie.Matt

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne