Diagnosed 5 days ago

1 year 3 months ago #61551 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Diagnosed 5 days ago
Your pathology samples/slides are yours.  You may request that they be sent elsewhere for a fresh look.  I have not done this myself  but Johns-Hopkins is well-known for providing second opinions on mailed pathology slides.  I did have my pathology samples when I was diagnosed with breast cancer sent to a nationally known pathologist who also was a friend.  My breast cancer surgeon was "thrilled" to have his work vetted in this wayi!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 months ago #61550 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Diagnosed 5 days ago
Welcome Markus,

This should confirm your posts are being seen. Second opinions are normally OK'd as a self-referral unless your insurance won't allow it. The majority of posters here over the years have been able to do this. Second opinions are great for "fresh eyes" and usually confirms a prior diagnosis. A few times they add information which is sometimes good, sometimes not so good info.

On a second opinion, I'd aim at a teaching hospital or a center that has a strong department in bladder cancer such as MD Anderson, Cleveland Clinic, Sloan Kettering, John Hopkins etc. Something must have triggered a new TURB after 5 years so keep posting or adding questions. Someone should see it and some ideas.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markus

1 year 3 months ago #61546 by Markus
Diagnosed 5 days ago was created by Markus
I am new to this forum. I am having a problem with posting my questions. I was diagnosed with low grade bladder cancer 5 years ago., I have been through many cysto's, and a turbt.  I am secluded for a biopsy later this month. How can I get a second opinion on a bladder tumor biopsy? Do I need a second biopsy sample? Should I notify my urologist before the scheduled biopsy?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne