High grade tumors in bladder & kidney. Only have 1 kidney

2 years 4 months ago #61074 by Jack R
Hab123,

Any time you (your father) have any concern about the care you are receiving, it is reasonable to seek an additional opinion or change to a care  providers who's services are a better fit for your immediate needs.

I am responding because of your statement of only one kidney, and now cancer may be in that kidney. That is my situation at year 5 of bladder cancer. My other kidney was lost many years ago to trauma. 

I don't know your hospital first hand, but you are likely to benefit having moved from a urology practice to a cancer center. You are likely to have a team available to focus on preserving the kidney - which ever type of cancer they may find - as well as planning for a possible kidney transplant and other options.

Thank you for advocating for your father. That is perhaps the most important need when dealing with cancr,.

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 4 months ago #61073 by hab123
My dad (52 y.o) has been in remission with bladder ca for 6 years. I took him to his annual check-up last week where his doctor performed a cystoscopy. Unfortunately, high grade tumors were found in his bladder and in his one and only kidney. They wanted to place a nephrostomy tube and start BCG treatments in his kidney. They didn't have it scheduled until 12/16/21. They also haven't scheduled a PET scan yet to see if the cancer has spread. I feel as if they were delaying his treatment/scan. Therefore, we reached out to Cancer Treatment Centers of America. My parents will be flying to Arizona this week to seek treatment. They have been amazing to work with so far. I am hopeful for the doctors and the treatments that they will perform. Have any others seeked out treatment at any of the Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Curious to know how that went for you? Any  information is helpful. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne