New to Forum - Recently Diagnosed - Treatment Question

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #60708 by Alan
Welcome John,

All I can talk about is my personal experience. There are MANY protocols as far as inductions and maintenance. You will know more after your 6 installations. One observation is something more than the 6 initial treatment appear to be better in preventing recurrences and progression.. Very few are able to tolerate the continued regimen that extends out to 2,3 or 5 years. So do not despair in that department.

In my own case, I was given 6 weekly followed by the check cystoscopy and rest for 6 weeks then 6 more. My MD who studied under Dr. Lamm 40 years ago in San Antonio had me that protocol. It simply might be because my tumor was caught early and was small or, every induction does carry a small risk of infection etc. However, he also figured if it didn't work at that point I would have lost my bladder anyway. The good thing is you have started the process of beating this. The most important part is keeping your 3 month checks and as you graduate to 6 and 12. I am fortunate as I am almost 13 past and many are here are 10+ years free.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johned1212

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 11 months ago #60707 by johned1212
Hi,
I had a CTSCAN in February that uncovered a 3mm tumor in my bladder.  A TURBT procedure was conducted on 2/17/21 to take it out (and 3 other smaller tumors they discovered when they were in there).  Initial indications were that it was T1, non-invasive, High grade.   Some of the pathology report was inconclusive so they did another procedure on 3/16/21 - a biopsy to verify that it had not penetrated muscle or the lamina proria.  Thankfully, it had not and no other cancer cells were found.  They recommended 6 BCG treatments which I began on 4/20/21.   I had my 2nd treatment yesterday.   So far I have had minimal side effects. 

My question has to do with treatments after the 6 initial BCG  treatments. In almost everything I have read online, everyone does extensive maintenance BCG treatments which seem to go on for quite a few months, sometime years.   My doctor has mentioned this but is recommending we stop after the initial 6 treatments and just monitor with cystoscopies.   His logic is that if the tumors come back, he can still use further BCG treatments as a next step, whereas if we do all the maintenance BCG treatments and the tumors come back, then the only recourse would probably be to remove the bladder.  

Has anyone just done the 6 BCG treatments and stopped?  Did the tumors come back?   What was your experience after that?  Any recommendations or sharing would truly be appreciated.  Also - my doctor is great, Harvard educated, associated with one of the best hospitals in Boston and I definitely have confidence in him. And we still have to have further discussions on the treatment options.   I'm just reaching out to see what types of experiences others have had with this type of treatment plan.   Thank you, John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne