New to forum- diagnosed with muscle invading turmor-

3 years 1 month ago #60598 by Alan
EDIT ADD!!!
EDIT ADD!!! Whatever diversion you choose, make sure the surgeon does at least 25+ of these a year. Also, many times one will steer a patient to what they are proficient at, so pick what diversion you want and make sure the surgeon has done lots of these.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 1 month ago #60593 by joea73
If the urologist thinks you are a good candidate for neobladder and if the urologist has done many neobladder surgeries successfully, definitely neobladder is the first choice, simply because you do not wear a urostomy bag though I have heard it will be just a routine and you do not have to buy the urostomy bags and related devices though they are covered by Medicare.

You may want to ask your urologist how you will gain the continency. I am sure it is listed on the site Allan had posted. I have noticed that eventually, most will gain continency during they are awake, though something like coughing makes urine come up a bit for some. Some will gain continency even during sleep through training by waking up every few hours or some may choose to use something like a condom catheter so they can sleep through the night. Approaches for gaining continency after the surgery varies among men. You should be able to find it on the website which Allan had posted.

In either urinary diversion, I suggest you ask your urologist about nerve-sparing which affects erectile function after the urinary diversion surgery.

best

3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #60584 by Alan
Comish,

Welcome. I am sorry for your reason to be here. I giving you a link to a very good read about the 3 different diversions: my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion .

One observation is most people adapt and accept whatever diversion they choose. Beyond this, I am not much help as I have not had a cystectomy. However, as you go, post specific questions and someone will often have some advice for you.

EDIT ADD!!! Whatever diversion you choose, make sure the surgeon does at least 25+ of these a year. Also, many times one will steer a patient to what they are proficient at, so pick what diversion you want and make sure the surgeon has done lots of these.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: comish

3 years 1 month ago #60581 by comish
I will be seeing a urology oncologist this week to discuss a cystectomy and which diversion type to choose. I am between the ileum conduit with the bag vs the neobladder. Any thoughts on either would be appreciated.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne