Florida Insurance Recommendation or ACA info

3 years 4 months ago #60234 by RosieF
We found a really good urologist at a NCI hospital. We've been really happy with the coverage we've gotten with our HMO. It's just going forward, hoping to evaluate other options just in case there is something better. True dat, without ACA we'd be screwed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago #60232 by JigStep
Replied by JigStep on topic Florida Insurance Recommendation or ACA info
Hi, Rosie: I can't say anything about Fla. insurance providers, but I used ACA coverage for six months between when a COBRA policy lapsed and Medicare began. I'm glad I had it, because I had a serious bleed a few days after a BCG treatment. I think you commented that you were looking around for a urologist. The only thing I can say is you want to be sure that the providers you'll be using--urologist, hospital, anesthesiologist, etc.--are in the insurance carrier's network. Out of network price for my little misadventure, including 2 nights in hospital, would have been in the $20,000 range. Good luck, Stu

7/18 Gross hematuria; 8/18 TURBT: papillary urothelial carcinoma, LG, T1; 12/18 TURB: benign urothelial mucosa, cystitis; 9/19 TURBT: papillary urothelial carcinoma, HG noninvasive; 6/20 TURB: NED, inflammation; 10/21 TURB: NED, inflammation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RosieF

3 years 4 months ago #60226 by RosieF
Hi. So health insurance seems to suck in Florida, but we are fortunate in that boyfriend has health insurance through the ACA. It's an HMO and has been great so far in keeping expenses down but we have no idea what we are in for as Marvin begins treatments for bladder cancer.

Since it is open enrollment it seems a good idea to review and we could really use the advice of a good insurance agent who is familiar with cancer benefits. He doesn't have a lot of money but we may be able to prioritize things a little differently. At any rate, we want to consider all options.

Likewise, if anyone has experience with insurances on the ACA in Florida who can give us feedback, we would appreciate it. He is too young for medicare.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne