Dads diagnosis of Carcinoma In Situ (cis)

3 years 9 months ago #59519 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic Dads diagnosis of Carcinoma In Situ (cis)
1,2 My BCa was papillary type but I know a few people who had only flat type (CIS).
BCG works well particularly for CIS. A study by Southwest Oncology Group in 2000 describes that 68.1% of CIS
patients had complete response after 6 months, but the complete response increased to 83.8% when the BCG maintenance was done.

3. When BCG does not work, a patient and the doctor need to review which route - bladder preservation or removal of bladder is better strategy for the patient.

Bladder preservation strategy for non muscle invasive BCa.

If BCG does not work well, some doctor will try BCG+Interferon. I know a coupe people that BCG alone did not respond, but BCG+Interferon have worked and they are in NED for a couple years now. I know some urologist chooses Intravesical chemotherapy when BCG did not work, but I do not know what criteria urologist the urologist uses when intravesical chemotherapy is chosen.

Also recently, Immunotherapy drug (injection) was approved by FDA to be used for those high risk non invasive BCa patients who did not respond well to BCG treatment.

4. When a person is diagnosed with BCa for the first time, 5% are already metastasized, 20% are muscle invasive.
By luck, your dad BCa was non-muscle invasive and the study says it is very treatable. Typically BCG therapy will last 3 years and your dad will go through cystoscopy several times. It should become a kind of routine.

Best wishes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 10 months ago #59474 by AOgan
Replied by AOgan on topic Dads diagnosis of Carcinoma In Situ (cis)
Thank you Sara for sharing your story. I will keep sharing my dads journey as I learn more, maybe also in the hopes of having others benefit from it as well. As I understand it, CIs by itself is rare so not sure if that’s good or bad. The doc did say the lesions were small (not sure what makes it larger) and he thinks we caught it early. But the second turbt will tell if it was more diffuse then the 2 the urologist found.

Alen

3 years 10 months ago #59473 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Dads diagnosis of Carcinoma In Situ (cis)
Of course you may post here!! Welcome!

Your dad is lucky to have you in his corner. CIS is very treatable and BCG is the current standard of care for it. It does have side effects, but they are usually very tolerable and the entire course of treatment is much less disruptive than the traditional chemotherapy that other types of cancer need.

I was diagnosed with CIS over 12 years ago, had the initial induction series of BCG and then maintenance and have been cancer-free ever since. Your dad can do this too.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 10 months ago #59472 by AOgan
Hi all, hopefully I can post here as a family member. My dad just got diagnosed with CIs (Carcinoma in Situ) after TurbT. He had a tumor removed that was 0.6cm X 0.5cm x 0.2cm and another suspicious lesion 0.4cm x 0.2cm x 0.2cm. Both are CIS. The urologist decided to start him on BCG immediately and the another TurbT in 8 weeks. My questions are several : 1) has anyone had a similar experience starting off with jus cis? 2) did bcg work? 3) at what point in time should we consider RC? 4) any other advice/suggestions/stories are welcome as this has caused a lot of anxiety in the family.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne