I was just diagnosed and am frightened

4 years 9 months ago #57998 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic I was just diagnosed and am frightened
You will note that my notes at the end of my profile are similar.... .5CM papillary tumor and I am still here 11 years later. You will do fine and the real key is simply take one day at a time. That is all you can control. Afterwards you will come out of this stronger and more effective in life.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #57995 by EdFlaherty
Replied by EdFlaherty on topic I was just diagnosed and am frightened
I agree with Sara Anne ... it is frightening, but manageable. Like anything new, it is scary until you get familiar with the terminology and develop some education. Fear of the unknown will never fully go away, but you will become more comfortable as you learn that this is a treatable condition. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: FrankLSRQ

4 years 9 months ago #57992 by FrankLSRQ
Replied by FrankLSRQ on topic I was just diagnosed and am frightened
Thank you. I deeply appreciate your response.

4 years 9 months ago #57991 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic I was just diagnosed and am frightened
My first advice is to STOP and take a deep breath. Been there, done that. I remember when my urologist mentioned "CANCER" I thought to myself "now I know what I am going to die of!" Well, it is over 11 years later and I have had no sign of cancer since. Bladder cancer, discovered early as yours appears to have been, is relatively easily treated.

Your urologist is of the opinion that the papillary (like a little mushroom on the bladder lining) tumor is about 1 cm in size. That is relatively small. The purpose of the TURB (transurethral resection of the bladder) is two-fold. First is to remove as much of the tumor as possible and second to send that tissue to a pathologist to determine the grade (how fast the tumor is growing) and stage (how far it might have advanced into the bladder/muscle). Only AFTER the path report is back will the urologist, and you, know exactly what you might be facing. The urologist may have a pretty good idea after the TURB but will know for sure only then.

Depending on the exact diagnosis, most of the treatment options are very do-able. It is far from a death sentence and in most cases the treatment plan does NOT involved chemotherapy or the types of treatments that many other cancers require.

You are fortunate to have a good friend who is a urologist. You will do fine.

Feel free to ask any questions that may arise here. Many of us have been where you are!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 9 months ago #57989 by FrankLSRQ
I was just diagnosed and am frightened was created by FrankLSRQ
I had blood in my urine in January, had a non-contrast CT and they found kidney stones in my left kidney. They reported diffuse thickening of my bladder wall. The blood in my kidney stopped until a few weeks ago. Urinalysis showed occult blood. I had an ultrasound two days ago and they reported a bladder neoplasm. Fortunately, I have a good friend, a urologist, who squeezed me into the schedule yesterday for cystoscopy. I have a small papillary mass (1cm). He's doing a TURB Monday. I can't sleep, I can't eat and I can't think.

I need some encouragement. I need to know that there's hope. I am a physically active, fairly healthy 70-year-old. I am concerned about my future and the toll this could have on my wife and adult children.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne