Loma Linda Urologists

11 years 8 months ago #42716 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Loma Linda Urologists
My urologist (Portland, OR) trained under Dr. Daneshmand, so I figure he must be pretty good :laugh:
Seriously, you probably wouldn't go wrong there.

Sounds as if you have considered your options very carefully; that is wonderful as you are way ahead of the game.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 8 months ago #42715 by rcorw
Replied by rcorw on topic Loma Linda Urologists
Thank you for your considerate reply. I emailed the USC Urology Dept today asking for an appointment. You mentioned Gill. I was trying to decide between him and Daneshmand (who claims to do more of these surgeries on the West Coast than anyone). Or possibly Boyd. But I would prefer robotics, and I am not sure either of them do that.
As for other options, if you are referring to reconstruction alternatives, I have decided the risks are not worth it to me. I am 80, and although in generally good health, my body parts will only wear out in the next few years. I don't want to live in fear that I might need to use catheters, etc.
If you have any additional advice about surgeons at USC, I will appreciate it.
Thanks again

11 years 8 months ago #42714 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Loma Linda Urologists
In reviewing the physicians at Loma Linda, I do not see anyone with exceptional expertise in the treatment of bladder cancer, or with the experience in cystectomy that I would require before considering a site. You need to find a urological surgeon who does at least 50 of these surgeries a year. One of the very best in the entire world is available at USC.

Have you decided definitely on an ileal conduit? There are also other options that might/or might not be better for you. Each individual differs.

I would strongly urge you to get your case reviewed at a place such as USC. If you still feel that Loma Linda has what you require, you at least would be making an informed decision.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

11 years 8 months ago #42712 by rcorw
Loma Linda Urologists was created by rcorw
Has anyone had experience with Loma Linda Medical Center urological surgeons for Ileal Conduit surgery? They have treated me, and I have been pleased, but I wonder about major surgery.

Thanks.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne