Transfusions due to blood loss via bladder

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #60025 by Alan
Sunny55,

I am sorry to read about your tough situation. Caregivers as children have my heart. Having been in your shoes about 12 years ago I believe it is often harder on the caregiver than what goes on with the patient so pat yourself on the back.

I would not hesitate to use hospice care be it palliative care or end of life issues. I do know that some cities have more than one group and some are better than others. So if that is the case do ask some questions in your search. The workers that I have met are wonderful people.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #60020 by Sunny55
My 89 year old father has chronic bladder cancer. This last hospitalization, he had 2 cystoscopic procedures to try and cauterize the areas that continue to bleed with no success. He now has a catheter because he continues to clot and it blocks his urine. He has had numerous transfusions and procedures this year. The doctor recommended hospice and comfort care but he will no longer receive transfusions. It is such a hard decision but he has to be hospitalized for transfusions each time. Anyone with a similar situation or suggestions? Any input is appreciated. I don’t know what to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne