In denial

11 years 9 months ago #42599 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic In denial
Welcome Helen,

My wife Heidi found that she felt she was more a part of the team when she started to go to my appointments with me and keep notes on what the doctor was saying for me. She also makes sure that I write everything that happens in my medical journal.

After I came home from my TURBT I had to wear a catheter (really hate that) so I couldn't get around very well due to it pulling on me when I moved. She helped me get comfortable in my recliner and then set up a schedule so that I would have someone there to help me, and to make sure that I took my medications on time while she went to work.

Now she keep everyone posted as to how things are going on her Facebook page. My family and children love to get the latest news right away.

But most of all she is strong for me when I start to hear that little guy in my head trying to scare me, and beat me down. She reminds me that I am usually the strong one. And that its okay if I hide in her arms until I find my strength to fight again.

Our love for each other has only grown from all this. We are not fooling our selves. We know that the worst could happen at any time. But we have prepared each other and our family for when that day may come. We also never ever go a day with out telling each other how much we love one another.

We learned all of this by watching my mother when she had to help my father with his bladder cancer. Dad waited far to long to get help and the cancer took him at a young age. Thankfully, now we are able to better detect it and treat it.

So when you catch your breath, and you feel that you are ready. You will find that you are the greatest, and most powerful part of his team, in his eyes. He will need you. So now is the time for you to shine. And I know that you will do just that.

May God guide you and your husband along the path to becoming cancer free.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 9 months ago #42596 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic In denial
I know what you mean about holding it in. I held my emotions in check from diagnosis until a few days after I came home from my surgery which was about a 5 week span. My flood of tears came when the nurse called to say my path report came back all clear.

Letting it go felt pretty good and I hope you can allow yourself that luxury and do not bottle it all up. You really will feel better and stronger for it.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

11 years 9 months ago #42595 by Helen Sandefur
Replied by Helen Sandefur on topic In denial
Thanks for the welcome! I feel like I'm going to explode sometimes. I tear up, but can't cry. I feel totally helpless right now. I want all of me to be there for him. I must clear my head of the unthinkable and focus on the love of my life. When is it going to hit me?

Helen

11 years 9 months ago #42594 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic In denial
Hello Helen... I can't imagine that it is even possible not to worry and be scared hearing the word "cancer" in your husband's diagnosis, especially when you've lost friends and family members already. I really hardly knew anyone with cancer until my niece's 45-year-old husband died of colon cancer, and within months my brother-in-law of lung/liver cancer. Both of them ignored their symptoms and did not seek medical help until it was too late. That is NOT your situation.

So when I was diagnosed with BC at the start of 2010, I immediately jumped to a pretty dismal conclusion. As you can see from the members here, we are still around and posting to the forum as success stories of various treatments/surgeries. It's important to focus on the fact that BC is NOT a death sentence and you and Scot will be a tough team to beat.

Please come here anytime you need to hear that. It's such a shock hearing a diagnosis initially, and it takes some time to be able to breathe again. But after you work through that part, you will be able to actively work together with Scot and his doctor to kick BC's butt!

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

11 years 9 months ago #42593 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic In denial
Helen,

Glad you are here! Be yourself and love and support your husband. Just being on this site shows that you are doing just that. Hang in there.

Anita (caregiver to Doug)

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

11 years 9 months ago #42587 by Helen Sandefur
Replied by Helen Sandefur on topic In denial
Thank you Sara. I recognize you from my husbands forum. You have been a great help to him.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne