chemo

13 years 2 months ago #36374 by hwg
Replied by hwg on topic chemo
thanks for the advice i want to be there for him and i know also that he will want me to be there

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #36373 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic chemo
Hi hwg, I took a book and stayed with my husband the whole time.
I just wanted to be there to look out for him. The hospital where my husband got chemo couldn't have been any nicer. He recieved six chemos every two weeks. As time went on he felt worse. The one thing he would eat was cambells chiken noodle soup. I would have to drain it and then wash the noodles and he could eat them.

My husband would say that I could leave , but I knew he really wanted me to stay . When the chemo was finished he finally told me he was glad I stayed because deep down he was worried something would go wrong and I wouldn't be there.

You will just have to talk to your husband to find out what he wants. Oh by the way my hubby slepted most of the time because of the large dose of benadryl they gave him each time he got chemo. Rocky

13 years 2 months ago #36336 by hwg
thank you for answering my question i appreciate it i will remember to carry crackers and take notes

13 years 2 months ago #36335 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic chemo
hwg, The first time you may want to stay with him. My husband would go with me to chemo and then go in and out as the day went on.

Remember that with chemo that the effects will be cumulative and with each infusion potentially more pronounced.

Make sure you keep small snacks such as crackers with you at all times, having an empty stomach can cause nausea.

Make sure that you keep a watch on people coming into contact with your husband that are sick. You would be surprised how inconsiderate and unthinking people can be.

Keep an eye out for any fever or other symptoms and report them quickly to the doctor. Infections can take hold very quickly during chemo and it is better to bother someone than be sorry.

Let him eat what he wants but try to make sure that he gets additional protein as it is needed during chemo.

Ask questions and take notes as his memory may not be as good as usual due to the chemo.

That is a start I am sure with time you will have more questions. Good luck and keep us updated.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

13 years 2 months ago #36332 by hwg
my husband starts chem on tuesday feb 8 as his caregiver what should i be doing to help him i will be sitting there with him

13 years 2 months ago #36273 by hwg
chemo was created by hwg
my husband starts chemo next week shoud i stay with hime during chemo

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne