more news on Bob

14 years 10 months ago #26240 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic more news on Bob
I read about this procedure when it first came out and thought what a great idea...i think it was doctor in Ky that came up with it. I remember cutting the article out as i am prone to do when i read anything new medical wise.
So glad Bob is feeling better and hopefully getting his appetite back.
I sure wish i had my wonderful caregiver back as you have been.
hugs.........Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #26239 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic more news on Bob
It must be nice to hear him say those words. I hope this help the pain he has been feeling.
I expect you are pretty tired with all the running around and the work you have to do at home also. Please take some time to rest. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

14 years 10 months ago #26236 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic more news on Bob
Bob came home about an hour ago- says he feels good. The Dr. said it went very well- I guess we will know more in a day or two
Lorrie

14 years 10 months ago #26228 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic more news on Bob
I got the name of the procedure wrong. It's called Balloon Kyphoplasty & he is awaiting the procedure at this moment. It's done with a local & an epidural. I'll let you know how it turns out. Keep you fingers crossed for him
Lorrie

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #26225 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic more news on Bob
Lorrie, I am really impressed about how much the Guelph and Kitchner facilities were able to do for Bob and so quick. I can't imagine the pain he must be in from the fracture. I do hope the procedure is as good as described. The steroids will help him feel better also. I hope you are able to get some rest with all this driving about. Take Care, Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

14 years 10 months ago #26221 by bobmac2
more news on Bob was created by bobmac2
It's been quite an eventful week here in Guelph ON. Bob was admitted on Sun. - we sent him by ambulance on a backboard (thank goodness as it turns out)as he was in excrutiating pain. I ususally have nothing but bad things to say about Guelph General's Emergency Deopt., but this time they seemed on the ball. He did get moved a lot & they witheld pain meds for 6 hrs. & he ended up in a hallway until 9PM, but they found that he had a fractured vertabrae, he was dehydrated,he had yet another bladder infection, and he was overdosed on the Hydromorphone.

They got him on an IV, a catheter etc. & the hospitalist put him on steroids (Dexa... something) along with his Fentynal patch 125mg.On Mon. they did an MRI. By Tues he was starving (this is a good thing for someone who didn't need to lose the 25lb.that he lost over the past month). He is a lot mor comfortable & coherent.

We had 3 appts. scheduled at the Cancer Hospital in Kitchener on Thurs. & they added a 4th with an Orthopedic Surgeon. They transported him there & back & our daughter & I followed by car. We were there from 10:30 AM until 4PM. WE spoke to his Oncologist 1st who gave us the results of his last CT scan- the cancer is back in his lungs, confirmed in his spine & now he has 3 spots on his liver. That was the bad news but not unexpected. Then we saw the Pain Mgmt.Dr. who said he was going to put him on a Fentynal pain pump for breakthrough. Then it was off to the Orthopedic surgeon who looked at the MRI & confirmed that he had a compression fracture at L1 & he was a candidate for Balloon Kyloplastey(spelling?)This is a fairly new procedure where they insert a balloon & inflate it to where the vertabrae should be then fill the space with cement. This should reduce 90% of the pain-m IMAGINE!!! 90%? Amazing. Anyhow, it's a quick procedure- they could not fit him in yesterday but we are taking him on Sat. & they will do it. From there we went to meet with the Radiation Oncologist who said he would do pinpoint radiation to that fractured vertabrae- just 1 treatment.That should get rid of the last 10% of the pain.Too good to be true?? Only time will tell. We asked about the other cancer in his spine & he said they would treat as needed- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So, it's been a very busy but very positive week. Bob is being discharged today with a pain pump, having his procedure tomorrow & who knows what's next.

I'll keep you all posted.
Regards, Lorrie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne