Thoughts on birthdays, life, & death

14 years 10 months ago #26159 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic Thoughts on birthdays, life, & death
Jack,thank you for the Birthday wishes & the offer of help- we will be fine I hope. We just sent him to the hospital by ambulance- the palliative nurse came this morning & he was in so much pain & dehydrated as well. His blood sugar was up to 22.1 so she called the Dr. on call & they decided to send him. I'll know more later. Our daughter went over following the ambulance & will pick me up & take me over there later. The Guelph hospital has the worst emerg. dept. in the whole world & he will be laying on that stretcher for hours before anyone will see him so maybe I can do a little painting rather than sit there (I won't guarantee the quality of the paint job though). Anyhow, thank you for the good wishes- I will keep you all updated.
Regards, Lorrie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #26155 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic Thoughts on birthdays, life, & death
Hi, Lorrie

First of all Happy Birthday.

Afer reading your post I have just realized we are neighbours. I live in Georgetown, so I am thinking you are on the Kitchener area. If there is anything I can do to help you you through this period, I will make myself available.
I still work, but am in your area a couple times a week.

Regards,
Jack Moon

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

14 years 10 months ago #26152 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Thoughts on birthdays, life, & death
Dear Birthday girl.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! Lorrie, I figure by the time you read this, your special day will be here...altho I suspect you struggle with finding it "special" given your grim situation. I'm with Pat, if I were there, we'd find a way to give you some time off to celebrate. It's so important for the caregiver to have some time for herself. I will pray that one of your sisters or a friend will offer to help out so you can take a break for at least a few hours. Do you not have hospice services where you are or something similiar? I wish I could help in some way. All I know to do is pray and you can count you will be in my morning & evening prayers.
Hugs, Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

14 years 10 months ago #26151 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Thoughts on birthdays, life, & death
OH Lorrie......Happy Birthday.
So sorry your burden is so heavy right now. Is there anyway you can get some relief with your system over there where the doctor can have a caregiver come in for a couple of days a week just so you can have a break?
Or how about one of those 3 sisters coming down and helping you out so you can go see your mother?
Well if i was anywhere close to you i would be there in a heartbeat.
xxoo Pat

14 years 10 months ago #26147 by bobmac2
Thoughts on birthdays, life, & death was created by bobmac2
Well I just watched the Belmont by myself-it's not as much fun by yourself!I guess I should get used to it.

Bob has slept most of the day. He woke briefly about 3:30, had a few sips of Boost, a bite of an energy bar, went to the bathroom, took another 4mg. shot of hydomorphone & fell back asleep.The pain has steadily increased this week. The Fentynal patches are now at 125 & being changed every 48 hrs. & he is back on the hydromorphone injections for break through. It's rough & it's no life.He shuffles between the recliner chair & the bed when he is awake. I don't know how long this will go on before he is hospitalized. it's horrible to watch...........his 91 yr. old mother called theis morning (she lives about 1 1/2 hrs. away)- Bob's brother wanted to bring her out for a visit but when she heard the weakness in his voice she thought perhaps they should wait- I don't know if she will see him again

I'm falling apart. I have so much work to do around the building but I fear leaving him for too long as he is so unsteady should he try to get up. Yet, if I don't do the work, I won't get a pay & God knows how much I need a paycheque. Tomorrow is my birthday- what a joke.

My 88 yr. old mother has been in the hospital in Toronto since Mothers Day- - her hospital is about 2 hrs. away- I've only been there twice- of course my three sisters are flapping their gums over that since they all live in Toronto & can get there every day. I can't win..........she won't be going home, she will be going to Palliative Care as she has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer.

I just re-read this & it's pretty depressing so I'll close for now
Regards to all
Lorrie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne