checking in I suppose

15 years 3 months ago #23701 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic checking in I suppose
Julianne, it is great your Mom can be active now. All I know is that the statistics show that chemo will extend life but that doesn't say what the quality of life will be. In a minority of situations chemo will achieve a remission but there are no guarantees of outcome. There is no right or wrong in making a decision to have chemo or not to have chemo. People do they best they can with the information they have.

Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #23676 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic checking in I suppose
And, Julianne, I have bouts myself of second guessing myself on my husband's last two chemos. If he had not had them, his last couple of months would have been much more comfortable, I think. But that's not what we chose.

And we live with that decision. I am happy to hear that your mother is having such a comfortable time right now.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 3 months ago #23654 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic checking in I suppose
You are not being offence we deal in reality here it would be nice to live in wonderland but alas we do not have that luxury now do we?

Who know is the answer none of us know really where your mother was as far as staging and if she would have responded to the treatment or if she would have had a bad reaction to it or what other health problems would have played into it.

Having said that for many it will give the best chance they have and not to seek treatment gives them the assurance for a negative outcome. It is a very personal decision and one that should be respected what for me would be unthinkable may seem reasonable for another.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

15 years 3 months ago #23653 by julieanne
checking in I suppose was created by julieanne
As I said, I suppose I am just checking in. I don't have much to report which is a good thing really. Mama is doing remarkably well. She had a small bought of what I believe was depression (deservably so) after her last hospital stay. Then, she snapped out of it and is as active as ever. I believe that the hospice nurse wonders why on earth she is visiting this woman! The only noticeable problem is the continued weight loss, but even that seems to have slowed. It is quite easy to get comfortable in this. It is almost easy to forget she is sick. I'm not sure if that is good or bad really. I wanted to mention something but am hesitant because I fear people will take it the wrong way....but here goes....Many of you know that Mama refused all treatments. I wasn't sure about the decision but it was hers to make so we supported it completely. Now looking back, I have to wonder if not having chemo has actually prolonged her life. Now, please don't think I am knocking the choice of chemo, or in any way saying it isn't a good idea. Every situation is unique and everyone makes the best decision for them. I just am curious about others thoughts on this. Cynthia- if you feel this is inappropriate please remove it. I in no way want to be offensive.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne