Catching Up

15 years 5 months ago #22378 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Catching Up
Xanax doesn't work for a long time, but clonazapam (sp?) does. The docs took him off that, though, in Illinois, because they thought it was adding to his confusion, and he seems to be doing OK without it.

Good luck with the Wellbutrin. If that doesn't work, take a look at Celexa.

We all need a little help, right?

Hot tub sounds good. If Doran keeps on keeping on, I might try to get Robert to bring some friends home to carry him to the basement. That would be a great treat, but I don't want to get his hopes up.

He actually let me sleep four hours at a time last night, so I think I'll make it.

Stephany in Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #22367 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Catching Up
We had a friend staying with us and between us we got him into and out of the pool. Plus we had a long line for his oxygen. What I did learn is not to bother with clothes. Next time he will be in his swimming suit and a robe. When he gets out I can dry him off put him in the extra heavy terry cloth robe and drive him home. No more trying to put on his compression hose while he is damp and sitting up. I couldn't lift his leg to put them on. He can still walk a few steps so he walked from the wheelchair to the steps which are big and broad with a good handrail.

We discussed several of the anti-anxiety drugs and settle on Valium. Xanax acts fast but doesn't last long. All of them are addicting. I picked Wellbutrin as my antidepressant as it is also used for anxiety. It is not in the same category of drugs as Valium. I was a Psychiatric Social Worker and have seen them used effectively but didn't think I wanted more than incidental use.

If Ativan didn't help Doran perhaps another one will. I think pain compounds the issue. The last time I took Valium was as a muscle relaxant when I had a pinched nerve in my neck and I was became agitated but Flexeril worked well but that was 28 years ago.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 5 months ago #22361 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Catching Up
Oh, my, Julie. You are SO overworked. How did you ever get him to the therapy pool?

Doran is begging to go to the hot tub or the shower, and after the nights we've had lately, I cannot bear to tell him we'll try. It isn't worth the cost.

Hospice left some ativan, and I tried that the other night, but it didn't help.

(I mean for Doran....maybe I'm giving it to the wrong person:huh: )

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 5 months ago #22357 by julieanne
Replied by julieanne on topic Catching Up
It sounds like you have been staying busy. I'm glad your doctor is on top of your health issues. I hope your blood pressure will stabalize. I can't imagine being the sole caregiver. There are four of us and it still gets overwhelming sometimes. I hope you enjoy the visit with your mom and sister. Take care.

15 years 5 months ago #22354 by Julie
Catching Up was created by Julie
I have not been on the forum for a week. Between starting Hospice and having company something had to go and the Internet was it. We are having a break between visitors until Wednesday when my Mom from Portland, Or and my sister and husband from the UK arrive. I have not seen my sister since our Dad's death. They are coming to see Dick while he is still with us.

I have been feeling more stressed than usual and finally managed to see my Primary Care physician Friday. Between the knee pain and sleepless night my blood pressure had gone up too high for my liking. After much discussion she increased my antidepressant, added a small dose of a calcium channel blocker for my blood pressure and prescribed a few to Valium to keep on hand for those occasion when it all gets too much. The knee pain has been relieved by steroid shots in both knees and I will be getting knee braces and am using a TENS unit. I also will be getting a Handicap Placard of my own.

For every day that Dick has appointments or visitors he seems to need a day in bed. He got up for my Birthday yesterday and we went out to dinner with friends and today he is staying in bed.

We finally managed to get Dick into see the Lymphedema therapist and he will be seeing her twice a week this month and we will evaluate if it is helping. She will be teaching us at the same time how to do some of it ourselves. Also I took him over to a therapy swimming pool last week. Water at 95° and saline rather than chlorine. He really liked it and wants to do it again. I think it helped him to be where he was weightless even if he did fall back into the pool when he was drying his legs.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne