Getting out

15 years 6 months ago #21706 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Getting out
Amazingly enough we were not too sore today. I did take my NSAID for my knee last night which probably helped.

Today Dick got the nerve block, then we went for a meal and then back to the clinic to see his primary care physician. This involved getting in and out of the car which also means getting out the wheel chair and putting it away. It all went smoothly. He was tired out after all that and is napping now.
If I can help it there will not be days with two appointments or weeks with several appointments. Having the lab work and shot done at home will be a big plus.

We are hoping to get some time in a therapy pool tomorrow as the water will provide compression. I am hoping it will help the lymphedema. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #21705 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Getting out
You GO, Julie! I know exactly what you went through with those pavers, and my hat is off to you. Now, were you sore the next 24 hours? I know you posted last night, so I'm hoping you got some painkillers in before you slept.

It sounds like all the work is starting to pay off, and I hope your appointment at 9:30 went like clockwork. Did Dick enjoy taking his scooter? Did it make things go better?

I'll be thinking about you both today.

Stephany in Iowa

15 years 6 months ago #21703 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Getting out
Hello Julie,

May I also take my hat off to you dear super lady for being such a truley wonderful inspiration.

Following your journey with Dick has been like riding waves and I am very impressed that you come out sitting on the crest each time.

I love your no nonsense attitude and dedication and strive to create as much independance for Dick as possible.

You make it sound so easy but I know it must take a lot of planning and patience and your energy to organize each and every day.

Thank you so much for the insights of your journey with Dick they have certainly made me feel more appreciative for the help I have recieved.

Kind Regards
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

15 years 6 months ago #21702 by SandyMc
Replied by SandyMc on topic Getting out
WOW, Julie! You are truly amazing in all the varied tasks you have taken on to keep Dick more comfortable and independent. I have followed you for many months now and can only hope that I could be so incredibly supportive if the need arose. My husband has been my main caretaker since I was diagnosed with BC but has never had to tackle such a diverse set of problems all at once. I wonder if he could?

Take good care!
Sandy

15 years 6 months ago #21699 by Julie
Getting out was created by Julie
Yesterday was the first time Dick used the wheel chair to get out of the house. There were a few minor issues. Even though the man from the Scooter Store said our threshold would not be a problem it was as it gave Dick quite a jolt going over it. That is too painful for his rib pain. I found a small piece of plywood I could use until I pick up a threshold ramp. Although when Dick tried out the wheelchair and it worked on the gravel then yesterday he got stuck several times with the wheels spinning. My sister was here for a visit and between us we got him unstuck.

Tuesday was lab day and visit with the Nurse Practitioner. I thought she was up do date with the care plan but she said she just heard Dick had been in the hospital last week. I went over the hospitalization and the request for home health that was now in place. She said that she understood why we would use home health instead of hospice. She said that having the Procrit shot in Dick's case is symptom management and not active treatment. We also set up getting the Procrit from a specialty pharmacy and having Home Health administer it. Dick wanted to get started right away. This will save us several hours a week of sitting in a waiting room.

I spent last night looking up pavers, flagstones and patio blocks. I picked one out that looks sort of like brick but is red concrete with incised lines. Today my sister and I picked up the patio blocks. They are 16" x 16" and weigh somewhere around 25 to 30 pounds. I had to cover 28 feet to get from the ramp across the front of the house to the driveway. So in 95° weather we unloaded and laid the blocks to form a path.

Dick used it this evening and was Mr. independence down the ramp and along the pathway all by himself and we didn't have to push him once. I still need to get sand and level each block but will do for now. I didn't even realize just how warm it was until someone asked. I must be acclimated to Arizona weather if I can labor outside on a hot day. Dick got his steak dinner that was postponed from the day he went into the hospital. He wore his new Havana shirt and a pair of linen shorts for our meal out.

Tomorrow is the nerve block. Today they changed the time from 3 p.m. to 9 a.m. We had to do it this way to accommodate Dick's appointment with his primary care physician at 12:30. I am getting tired of abrupt changes in schedule. it is not that easy for us to realign everything. I have tried to keep next week free of appointments because we have friends visiting and still we wind up with 3. Grump, Grump.

Dick is taking more naps and has a little more brain fog. I will be glad of fewer appointments. Maybe I'll get inspired to tackle the pile of mail that has built up. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne