A different parent

15 years 8 months ago #20846 by Clara
Replied by Clara on topic A different parent
You are certainly right to vent here as I know what you mean that many people do not know even when they ask. This is where I often express my concern even if no one wants to listen but there is support and care here.

I truly feel that when one says "I will pray for you and your family" on this site, they mean it. Some people do not even want to hear that but I think it comes from the heart here.

This is a difficult time for you and you neeed this outlet.

Wishing you the best,
Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #20833 by jerrysgirl
Replied by jerrysgirl on topic A different parent
**HUGS**
I'm so sorry. I'm on here because my husband has BC, but I went through a situation similar to yours two summers ago. My father was diagnosed with leukemia, and my mother is really frail from lung cancer/copd. My dad passed away just at two years ago after an 8 month battle. I know there were so many many days when it felt like there was not enough of me to cover everything/everyone. Emotionally I was just completely wiped out.
One of the most important things anyone told me at that time (and it's held even more true as Jerry battles the BC now) is to be sure to take guilt-free time for yourself. It can be as simple as a 30 minute bubble bath, or 30 minutes reading your favorite book/magazine. The important thing is to allow yourself some time to unplug from it all and unwind. It helped me feel up to getting back onto the emotional roller coaster my life had become. I couldn't be of much help or support if I lost myself in it all. I realize, too, that all of that is easier said than done...but please do try to make yourself a priority, too. And know that there are plenty of people on here, and in your life, that are thinking of you, lifting you up, encouraging you.
Sorry I can't send a true hug...so here's next best...***hugs***
Traci

15 years 8 months ago #20821 by julieanne
A different parent was created by julieanne
Well, I know this is the bladder cancer forum but I feel comfortable that you will allow me to vent about my Dad as well. As many of you know, he is in the advanced stages of Parkinson's disease. He spends a lot of time at my house in the back yard area because his shop is here. Yesterday afternoon, my son happened to be in the kitchen at the window and saw him fall. He was simply standing still and started gaing backwards. Unlike you and I, he cannot catch himself because he has very little balance and very slow movement. He fell flat on his back. Luckily, he sisn't hit his head and nothing was broken. I'm sure he is bruised. So, he doesn't want anyone to know, but I called my sister because she is around all day (while I'm at work) and just gave her the heads up in case something came of it. He worries so much about Mama and so so I, but I also worry so much about him. What if he falls somewhere else on the farm and can't get up or hits his head etc. I'm just feeling overwhelmed right now with the both of them having these issues and not knowing what next. Mama has become very irritable and I think some of it is that she overdoes it and gets very tired, but I also wonder if she is having some kind of pain. She just gets so aggravated with Daddy and fusses and fusses. I hate it and I am torn because I know he is trying his very best to help and I also know that she doesn't really mean to be mean. He never says a word back and just leaves the house to find something to do outside. Anyway, sorry for rambling, I just needed to get it all out. Very few people really want to know how things are even though they ask.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne