Nutrition: The Struggle to Gain/Maintain Weight

15 years 8 months ago #20857 by Mel09
Hi Karen,

My father is diabetic but he has the sugar free version of Ensure, called Glucerna. He actually likes them! We seem to have the opposite problem this week. He was told he is gaining too much weight. We are just pleased that he has an appetite while going through chemo so we just keep feeding him! LOL
He also eats a lot of fruits. My mother seems to be food shopping every other day!

Take care,

Melissa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #20847 by Clara
Karen,
I may have told you this before but Bob's oncologist even suggested SlimFast in between meals because it does taste better but is nutricious. Often, I just blend ice cream and half of a SlimFast, put it in a frosted glass and just set it down beside of Bob's chair.

Clara

Caretaker of husband, Bob.
Stage IV
Diagnosed Jan, 2007

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20803 by momof4
Resources....for Nutritional Suppliments

I had to go to the hospital to pick up some prescriptions for my husband...they were supposed to be ready and waiting for me...but they weren't...While I waited I noticed the Nutritionist's office was on the same floor as Hematology & Oncology...So, I knocked on her door. I told her my husbands situation and how we were trying to keep his weight on or hopefully help him gain. I asked her for some ideas. This is something that I know several Caregivers are also struggling with.

She not only gave me some ideas...she gave me 2 bags of samples! :)

A few things that I have given Angelo are:

Ensure Plus (Vanilla)
I blend this in the blender with frozen strawberries or a 2 tsp. of instant coffee and sugar.

Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC (Very High Calorie) you can do the same as above...but not bad on its own.

Uncrustables, in the frozen foods section of the grocery store. Designed for kids, but great for snacks.

Hot pockets...they seem to be the right size and are loaded with calories

Blueberry muffins (or whatever your favorite) from Sam's or Costco...there is over 500 calories in each muffin, but the size is not too intimidating as a breakfast. (this and an Ensure would be nearly 1000 calories!)

The main thing is to keep the meals simple and small. And don't ask: Are you hungry? Or Do you want something to eat? 9 times out of 10 the answer will be no. But I will bet if you just bring it to them and say try this....you will be surprised how often they will eat.

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne