Hey, where are all my caregivers!!!!!

16 years 11 hours ago #16335 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Hey, where are all my caregivers!!!!!
Susan,
For those who aren't use to being on the receiving end of the giving you may find it rewarding. The thing is to let go,,let your friend give you the help you need in the abscence of a family member. With the friend I would let her know what to expect, what scares you, and maybe some of your inner thoughts. I suppose while receiving treatment you could lighten the mood by , if your feeling well enough to do something you both enjoy, not making it a 24/7 discussion on the whole deal..if you are comfortable with her she will surprise you with compassion for your situation. walk softly at first, it will all follow as it should. As my husbands caregiver I have to say I lightened the mood whenever possible, keeping things as normal as possible, knowing the underlying thoughts are on the surface at all times. This helps a whole lot....maybe since your so use to handling it all, you may just find you really don't want to, its nice to have a soul mate who cares...let her carry some of the load!!!
Thanks for sharing your latest issue, I hope others more qualified will follow up as well!!!! Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 12 hours ago #16334 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic Hey, where are all my caregivers!!!!!
Greetings to all -- When I was in Boston for teatment and was asked on a form
"Who is your primary caregiver?" it was between G-D and myself, so I wrote "myself."
I was living alone, walking to and from treatments, etc. Since I've been back to MS, I've been blessedly feeling well until very recently -- now, not so much -- but
I did accomplish the goal of finishing teaching my classes for the semester (and will be eligible to retire May 15.)

This coming week, though, I'm going to MD Anderson in Houston anticipating new chemotherapy. The Dr. said I should have a caregiver with me and my friend of
two years (who was born only hours before me) says she can go. No family member can,
so what a blessing!

Now, I want to try to do this while preserving our friendship. Unlike family relationships, this may not be "unconditional positive regard."

What advice do you have for mindfulness of and respect for caregivers? I'm more
used to being on the "giving" end and the role of being helped is tricky for me.
("lucky" for me I lost my home and contents in Katrina and got some practice
receiving help.)

I'm really asking for ssuggestions here if you have some.

Appreciatively -- Susan

16 years 13 hours ago #16331 by bobmac2
Replied by bobmac2 on topic Hey, where are all my caregivers!!!!!
Hi all, Well , there was a voicemail for me from Andrea. Apparently the 4hr. Chemo treatment will actually be between 6 & 7hrs.They left here before 10AM to attend a class about Chemo, with the actual treatment scheduled for 11:45. Andrea doesn't figure he will be ready to leave Kitchener until 6:30 or 7 & since she has a family to look after, she is going to come home & I will go get him. I spoke to him- so far so good. I'll update later- Lorrie

16 years 17 hours ago #16320 by Gene Beane
Hey Holly,
This is nice, I am getting all kinds of news, the RED HATTERS, I love it.
I see you girls everywhere, at the airport in Vegas there must have been 30 women, maybe a get together of sorts, I so admire the purple and red, its so unique, I can picture both of you, (Julie) IN THE CUSTOMARY APPARRELL.
How are you Holly,,do you think Pat is a Red Hatter.???

Ginger

16 years 17 hours ago #16318 by Gene Beane
Lorrie,

I knew when asking this question I would have a mixed bag of answers. This is the first one that makes me very sad. Prepared to hear how its going for everyone I thought well ask away as b/c is a mixed bag for all of us. I am sorry to hear the news for the both of you but the fact he is willing to do the chemo means he wants to live, for however long. I have to applaud him for that as he has been through so much since day one. I will keep the both of you in my prayers and I hope he has good results with the chemo , no side effects, he certainly deserves a break afterall.. Take care Lorrie, Ginger

16 years 19 hours ago #16316 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Hey, where are all my caregivers!!!!!
Hi Julie,

I didn't know you were a Red Hatter :) So am I !!! I am Princess Globe Thistle and co-chair of the Garden Ya-Ya's out of Janesville Wi ;D No wonder you are such a cheery soul...
Have you folks on my prayer list, God Bless, Holly

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne