How much caregiving time is necessary?

16 years 4 months ago #11610 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic How much caregiving time is necessary?
Sally,, I want to clear up my statement, he will dictate his need for help,, I MEANT TO SAY HIS SITUATION AFTER GETTING HOME AS FAR AS HOW WELL HE IS DOING WILL TELL YOU WHEN TO GO BACK TO WORK OR NOT. Mot him, himself...don't do what he says, do what you see needs to be done....Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 months ago #11597 by Sally
Replied by Sally on topic How much caregiving time is necessary?
Thanks both of you, I really appreciate your opinion!!
I will be there for surgery and after. I will be staying with my husband all day, every day while he is in the hospital. I plan on going home to sleep each night though. That takes care of 7-9 days. It sounds like he could be left a few hours the second week, but more after the catheter is taken out.

I wanted a caregivers opinion, because my husband thinks he will be fine and can be left alone for the good part of a day. He does not want me to dictate how he should respond, so it sounds like I need to be ready to come home from work or have someone on call when he decides he needs help. I have gotten conflicting information, so I am glad to hear from you.

16 years 4 months ago #11526 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic How much caregiving time is necessary?
Sally,

I think its going to be depending on how your husband does with surgery. I would take off the first 2 weeks if you can..then maybe you can work half days, as long as you can check on him. But really he will dictate the need for you to be home. First two weeks, I would be home. Its very emotion for them as well, sometimes depression is part of it down the road 3 or 4th week..the bowels reaction is also a tricky situation. You will be running the drug store run the first 2 weeks for sure. I would like to tell you to that after he gets out of surgery the first thing he will want is a wet wash cloth on his lips, as they are real dry at first. Ice chips rolled up work wells in a cloth. I stayed in his room the first nite and the 3rd. I felt better there..and he felt better too. I didn't like missing the doctors and they come in very early sometimes..plus they don't listen very well groggy...so thats my advice, I have more if you need it!!!!Ginger

16 years 4 months ago #11525 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic How much caregiving time is necessary?
Hi Sally,

I was in the hospital for 10 days from the RC/neobladder. My Mom stayed with us for the first week which was incredibly helpful. Then I was blessed with a best friend who came over on chemo day each week, and our neighbor came over to help me a few hours a day as needed too. My hubbys employer let him be available to me when I needed a run for IV fluids or anything. My son (who is 24) also came out alot. So I would say I was alone a few hours a day after the 3rd week maybe. I certainly couldn't go out on my own driving or walking, but I could be left alone some.
I do recall that everything was complicated until the final tubes were removed around the 3rd week out. After that I used pull ups as it was hard to get any continence between the 2 infections I had and then the diuretics given with the chemo.
I wish you folks the best, God Bless, Holly

16 years 4 months ago #11516 by Sally
After my husband comes home from the hospital, how much time should I spend at home? How long can he be left in the first three weeks? Should I return to a full-time job or just a few hours a week?

Husband is a healthy 56-yr old undergoing neobladder surgery.

I would appreciate any advice on the first several month's of home care. Thx.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne