A visit to the National Cancer Institute

7 years 10 months ago #51328 by Plk
this is all wonderful news. I am sure that your learned a lot and grateful that you have sent this report back to us. This website is a great help to all who visit and we are lucky to have dedicated people will to help others.

It is great to know that significant work on bladder cancer is being done at NCI. I have a family member who has held a high position there (now she is in Boston) and says that the amount of new research is amazing!

Thank you again for all you do.

Paula

PLK in NJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #51268 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic A visit to the National Cancer Institute
Very Serious looks on those faces.
You 2 were the best representitives for getting info on bc.
Thanks for all you do here and outside this forum to help us get thru the
questions we have and the fear we have when we hear the words"You have cancer"

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #51256 by Nicke
Replied by Nicke on topic A visit to the National Cancer Institute
Thanks for the report Sara Ann. I can imagine it was a very interesting visit for you. Reading about the Da Vinci device and looking at the picture, I did at first asked myself, WHO lost his bladder?...Ed? Then I did realized it was not for real... :laugh:

Niklas

12-12 Diagnosis
13-1 Turb TAG1
13-5 Turb Ta low grade, multiple
13-10 Turb TaG2, multiple
13-11 Mitomycin 8 weeks + 6 month
15-01 Turb

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #51232 by sara.anne
A visit to the National Cancer Institute was created by sara.anne
Recently, the officers of the American Bladder Cancer were invited to spend some time at the NCI Center for Cancer Research at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD. to learn about their efforts in bladder cancer treatment and research. Ed and Cynthia Kinsella and I were fortunate to be able to attend. It was truly an "awesome" experience!!

We met in the HUGE NIH Clinical Center where we were greeted by a number of people from the National Cancer Institute and our guide, Caryn Steakley, Deputy Clinical Director of the Center for Cancer Research.

We were able to spend time with three clinical researchers and their teams: (I have included a link to their individual web sites so that you can also meet them!)

Deborah Citrin, MD ccr.cancer.gov/Radiation-Oncology-Branch/deborah-e-citrin

Andrea Apolo, MD ccr.cancer.gov/Genitourinary-Malignancies-Branch/andrea-b-apolo

Piyush K. Agarwal, MD ccr.cancer.gov/urologic-oncology-branch/piyush-k-agarwal

I have to admit that one of the highlights of the day was the opportunity to actually USE the DaVinci device! In the attached picture, Cynthia and I are being instructed by Dr. Agarwal. Of course we were using a training unit, and only got to move little rings onto little uprights....but note our complete surgical outfits :) !

We were also very impressed with the degree of collaboration among the three clinical teams, who have a truly interdisciplinary approach to clinical research into bladder cancer and other genitouriary cancers.

In the very near future we hope to be able to share with all of you timely news about clinical trials at NCI, as well as opportunities for obtaining second opinions and recommendations for treatment in complicated cases.

It was really exciting to see that the National Cancer Institute is now working to push the boundaries of bladder cancer treatment! The next few years will be fast-moving in this area.

We are very grateful for all of those wonderful people we met for sharing their research with us. And we owe a special thanks to those who arranged our visit and guided us through it, Laurie Cynkin of the NCI Office of Advocacy Relations and Aubrey Wachter from the CCR Office of the Director.

PS TO VIEW THE PIX, CLICK ON "ATTACHMENTS" BELOW

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
Attachments:

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne