Coping with Cancer During the Holidays

10 years 4 months ago #45614 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Coping with Cancer During the Holidays
Thank you Cynthia. You always say the right thing. The Holiday season here is one of Absolute Joy for some, and Deep depression for others.

I find it very hard to seem unfeeling, when I happily shout out to you all, "Merry Christmas" "Happy Holidays" "Happy New Year" Or any of a million good wishes this time of year. But this is the time of year where we take stock of our place in life.
Some of us are finding that there is life after bc.
Some of us are finding that family and friends are teaming up for the fight with us.
Some of us are very alone and afraid of bc
Some of us have problems with complications from bc
Some of us are in the midst of the fight and see no reason for celebration.

But please.... all of us...... find GRACE in this season. If nothing else, as this disease takes away so many things, let us find GRACE to get us through.

The GRACE to take each day as a new beginning.
The Grace to never give up, If there is a Chance.
The Grace to look this disease square in the eye and say "I'm going to live!"
The Grace to remember the people who care for us. They won't let us give in.
The Grace to look around us and find SOMETHING beautiful that we wouldn't have noticed if we hadn't had bc

I know that each of us has a reason to pass on this happy season. After all, we are suffering and the rest of the world is partying. But every one of us has to find Grace in something. It's what keeps us going every day.

To all of you, patients, family, caretakers, shoulders to cry on, best friends, .... And Anyone who impacts your life during this bc period of your life..... May you fine the Grace to get you through this.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #45608 by Cynthia

While going through Chemotherapy during the holiday season the world for me was a scary uncertain place. Leaving me to feel isolated as I was surrounded by a world of colored lights and good cheer. I also felt bad because I knew my situation was not making for a happy time for the people that cared about me. And I lacked the energy to do the things I usually did changing some of our holidays traditions.

Some say you should make a wish on New Year’s Eve and mine that year was the same as it has been for nine years since it is to see another New Year. As the years have passed that feeling of being separate from the celebration has faded, but I still remember how difficult the holidays where that year.

Feeling out of step or depressed is only natural while dealing with cancer especially when the community around us is celebrating. Remember to be kind to yourself; you are going through a lot. The holidays alone are an emotional time for many without the added stress of cancer.

Talking to someone can sometimes help make the burden lighter. Ask your health care professional for a referral to a licensed councilor or Cancer Care has a staff of ontological social workers who offer phone support for survivors and caregivers at www.cancercare.org/counseling .

From the Roswell Park Cancer Center tips for coping with cancer during the holidays. www.roswellpark.org/cancertalk/201212/coping-cancer-during-holidays

What tips would you give to someone on how to cope with their for their loved ones cancer during the holiday?

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne