A friend with cancer

12 years 3 months ago #40679 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic A friend with cancer
I don't know what to say except thank you all. Upnorth, I am humbled.

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago #40662 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic A friend with cancer
If we had a like button on here, I'd have to say like...even if you did make me shed a tear, upnorth. So thankful for this forum and all that bladder cancer survivors, fighters, and caregivers are able to share with one another on it.

Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

12 years 3 months ago #40661 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic A friend with cancer
Doc, Don't ever feel that you have failed when dealing with other peoples problems. You reached out to help, and they choose not to accept it. That is far more than most people will do in this type of situation.

Remember you reached out to help someone not to long ago and they did take you up on your offer. For that I and my family thank you very much.

All you can do is keep trying. The big guy only see's what you have tried to do. He doesn't judge you on what others think.

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

12 years 4 months ago #40537 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic A friend with cancer
Catherine..... Nicely said.

Doc. I know you are feeling bad about this. It is so sad indeed. But in the end the patient has the ultimate power in the decisions they make about their care

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

12 years 4 months ago #40536 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic A friend with cancer
Hey Doc... I can tell this is weighing on you heavily. Sometimes circumstances are such that our help is unwanted, or even unwelcome, and we have to respect the boundaries others have set. That can be difficult when things happen to people we care about and we know they are suffering.

It sounds like you don't have a path to help your daughter-in-law, but your wife will need your support as her DIL's health deteriorates. Sometimes all we can do is just be available... and we have to find a way to be OK with that.

Don't feel bad or guilty about bowing out. You offered, I'm sure multiple times, and your help was discouraged. I do hope the projections are wrong and maybe she will decide differently about fighting her battle, but in the end, it is her decision to make.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 4 months ago #40529 by dieseldoc
A friend with cancer was created by dieseldoc
I have Never talked about this but here it goes. My wife's daughter in law has cancer and is not expected to live much longer. The minute she heard she had cancer she gave up. I can not help to think I could have talked her into fighting this, but her husband would not allow me to talk to her. He does not want me to interfere with his family. My wife said don't push it, so I just butted out. The kids never did like me much, I guess because they think I got between their mother and father. I guess we will never know if I could have helped her or not.

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne