Bladder Cancer in the news

12 years 9 months ago #38594 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Bladder Cancer in the news
Wow, Doug, an aha moment for me. I need to pay attention more to articles etc about bc and indeed post comments. I did do a blogged article discussing the fact that a small cigarette company here in FLA USA isn't being held to the same standards as the larger companies that were included in the successful lawsuit that allows FLA to do commericals that are anti smoking. They are very effective. My part was really small in the big picture but the company is not having to pay into the fund that all other cigarette companies are required to. As a result they sell a large portion of cigarettes in this state and perhaps others since they are a lot less expensive. When I received the article for my own touches I told the people who asked me to write that I would do this under the condition I can add a part about how bc is a direct result often of smoking cigarettes. I know that not ALL BC is caused by smoking but...

I also have maybe become a thorn in the sides of smokers when I ask them if they knew BC is a direct result of smoking. They are shocked to learn this and then I discuss with them how BC is often treated. Not sure if any have stopped but it seems to my untrained eyes more and more younger people seem to be smoking more often these days. Sad with all the knowledge we didn't have years ago. I will now step off my soap box. :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #38476 by abeach
Replied by abeach on topic Bladder Cancer in the news
Way to go George. Thank you for speaking out.

12 years 9 months ago #38468 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Bladder Cancer in the news
Glad you posted on CNN, George!! Great idea.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

12 years 9 months ago #38424 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Bladder Cancer in the news
Maybe due to sites like this we're getting more educated patients?
But i know for a fact in my city there is one group ..thats ONE that even knows how to do a cystectomy and hasn't had that much practice either. And i was diagnosed in 2002...not much has changed here!
pat

12 years 9 months ago #38421 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Bladder Cancer in the news
I could understand this article. I posted to the comments and included this website as a resource. I even used my real name, as I usually do.
Maybe a small measure of help can come from it.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

12 years 9 months ago #38413 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Bladder Cancer in the news
This was a "layman's summary" of the article Cynthia just recently posted about in "articles of interest." The thing of "interest" to me is that the patients studied were treated in the early 2000's. Can we hope that we are receiving more educated care today?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne