How people think?

13 years 1 month ago #37257 by Lynda
Replied by Lynda on topic How people think?
Catherine and Duke-

Cancer does seem to put everything in perspective. I know that I've let go of a lot that used to bother me, but I also have less tolerance for the baloney from people just out to make life difficult. I am having some issues with my pouch right now and my husband is more cranked off about it than I am. I know it's not perfect right now, but it will get better and I'm better off as it is now than a year ago, so it's OK. Thanks for your observations, I think they're right on!

Lynda

Lynda

3 years UTIs
Indiana Pouch - July 2010
Pulmonary Met. - May 2011
Chemo started June 2011

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #37256 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic How people think?
Catherine, thanks for your response. That was what i was trying to express. You were able to put it more eloquently. I guess it is just easy for us to lose perspective of our every day lives. Cancer or any other major event has a way of shaking us back to reality.
Duke

13 years 1 month ago #37248 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic How people think?
I think that is a very astute observation, Duke. I frequent a forum for Blackberry phone enthusiasts and they are so snarky and hateful with each other. A 'my phone can beat up your phone' or 'my Blackberry is better that your iPhone' is the constant theme. They pounce on people who innocently ask a question that may have been asked somewhere else in the forum. I mostly lurk because it does provide lots of good techie info. It could not be more different than this wonderful site full of people who have faced hardships and are willing to share their experience for the betterment of others.

When I was diagnosed in January 2010, I was about 75% through a major home renovation (kitchen, 2 baths, master BR). I was so determined to pick out just the right items, went to the home improvement stores almost daily, and became obsessively involved with all that stuff.

After being diagnosed and surgery, I won't say I lost interest in all that, but it no longer seemed so important that all the light fixtures coordinate, or that the new hardware be the exact shape and color. I still have a few things that have not been finished, but I'll get back to it when I get to it.

The word "cancer" just put everything into proper perspective that health and life trumps all of that. It reset my "gratefulness" meter and now as I sit looking out my window at the spring blooms on the trees and the country landscape coming back to life, I feel more contentment than any home "upgrade" could ever deliver.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

13 years 1 month ago #37244 by dukel
How people think? was created by dukel
I been thinking about this for a few days now. This site continues to amaze me. I also belong to a Corvette forum online. Now one would think that a group of guys on a corvette site would be a pretty happy group of people. Most are lucky enough to have a nice car they always wanted and are there discussing something they are interested in. They don't need to go there, they choose to go there. You would think life would be good for them! But guess what? Almost every time i go there, on most of the forums guys are bitching about one thing or another, arguing with one another over very trivial things, etc. When i go on that site, i always feel worse by the time i log out. Now put that in contrast with a site like this. People come here looking for information on how to stay alive. For most it is or has been the most difficult time of their life. Most of us are just trying to stay alive or even worse, trying to help a loved one stay alive. If the only problem we had was what Corvette is the best, we would all be celebrating. Does that contrast or comparison make any sense. Wouldn't one think this as a cancer site would be where people might have an attitude, maybe be a little down on life. Should this not be the site where i feel worse when i logout? The first time i had cancer in '91, I was off work for nearly a year, and it was not a good year (months of chemo and surgeries). When I went back to work after a year, co-worker whining or complaining about their jobs, etc. almost drove me crazy. I could see they had no idea how lucky they were to be at work!
Why is it that all of us on this site are the happier group of people. It just don't make sense. I sometimes think if we survive cancer it takes us to a different place, or at least changes us somewhat. Do you know what i am trying to say? Do others here see the same thing.
Once again Cynthia, thanks for the site.
Duke. JMO

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne