Challenge to All!

13 years 3 months ago #36260 by Sassy
Replied by Sassy on topic Challenge to All!
I am still trying to get information out so others can find this site, and to increase awareness. This is the way that I can help others. I am still trying to raise money with my books. Whatever I can do to help all of you here, I am trying. I am trying to increase awareness for women and bladder cancer because it is diagnosis so frequently when it is the more advanced stages. I was lucky because after approaching them, I was able to get an article posted on the Healthy Women website. They have asked me to write a blog that tells my journey as a survivor. I appreciate all of you who are here to respond to each other. But, like the comment to this post, it is up to us to keep this site alive, and to make it grow.

To give to those who come after we have gone so they too have this haven we cherish. It was this kind of dedication and perservance that made this site and the ABLCS possible for all of us. It is up to us to keep it alive, and to make it grow for others who follow. If you want to read the article that was posted on the website you can find it at: www.healthywomen.org/content/article/living-bladder-cancer

Your story may be different than mine, and I am sure it is...but at least sharing it, is reaching out. I will be blogging about my journey. After I finish, I maybe able to share journey's that other women have walked. I couldn't pass this chance up because someone else may find it, by finding it, they may also find this haven and all of you.

Think about what this site has been to you. How would you be without it. I know. I remember when there was nothing when I faced the same issues as some of you.

Forgive me if I am on my soap box, but I know what it is like when you need a friend, and there is no one there.

Sylvia L. Ramsey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #36210 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic Challenge to All!
Dear Friends

ABLCS was the 1st support site I found in 2007 after being diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2005. I learned more in a week here from all the great people, than my 2 previous years.
Because of what I was taught here, I figured we should have a support group in Canada. I co-founded Canadian Bladder Cancer Network in the fall of 2009.
We had a few members in 2010 organize a 5K walk. With just 9 teams CBCAN raised over $25,000. We will have our 2nd annual walk on June 25th 2011 in the hope to raise $50,000.
ABLCS has over 10 times the membership of our Canadian support site.
Can you just imagine how much could be raised for ABLCS, if everyone really got behind the project. Do you know how many people could be helped. Do you know how much awareness could be spread.
Please give back to this great support group. Remember what these people have done for you. All donations are tax deductible. You have a site right here where your sponsors can donate to your walk.
Challenge yourself people, you just can't believe the satisfaction you will receive by giving back.
All the best
Jack Moon
President
CBCAN

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

13 years 3 months ago #36137 by Sassy
Thanks for all you do. You may not see me much here online answering posts,you and some of the others are very good at that. Instead, I am here in a different way...but, my heart and my efforts are with all who go here. If what was achieved last year, all for the price of a cup of coffee...can you imagine what we could do if we invested in a sandwich and a dessert to go with the coffee? :)

Sylvia L. Ramsey

13 years 3 months ago #36127 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Challenge to All!
Thanks for all you do Sylvia!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 months ago #36118 by Sassy
Today I Jackie Vick did an interview on her blog about the quest to raise funds by selling books. For that, I am very grateful because by doing this it got the word out about this wonderful site. More than that, she told me that she lost a friend to bladder cancer. She went on to say that maybe, just maybe, if there had been a place like this for her it may have made a difference. If you have never had to go facing this cancer alone, you have no idea what it is like to not have anyone to reach out to for support. I know, I have been there. When I was diagnosed, I was a caregiver. My husband at that time, now deceased, was diagnosed with prostate cancer on the same day that I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. He was already a very sick man with COPD and congestive heart failure. I needed someone to talk to, to be able to ask questions as many of you have asked here. There was nothing. Those of us who have faced this, know only too well how having a place like this is more valuable than words can describe. My one goal in life is to make sure it is here for others who follow after I am gone. I have since been diagnosed with COPD myself. However, as long as I am able, I will do whatever I can to make sure the ABLCS is here for others, and that this website is always here. I really hope that you all feel the same.

Sylvia L. Ramsey

13 years 3 months ago #35929 by Sassy
Challenge to All! was created by Sassy
I am a 16 yr. bladder cancer survivor of Stage T3. When I was diagnosed, there was “nothing” on the internet except a page I found that gave the 800 number for the National Cancer Institute. I really needed to interact with others, find information and I couldn’t find anything. Now, we have the American Bladder Cancer Society, and thousands link to it every month.

We have July as National Bladder Cancer Awareness Month, but awareness about this cancer is still lacking in the public and medical sector. Let’s make a difference this July. If we can raise enough funds, at least $12,000, this year we can do a really great awareness campaign.

I am doing what I can to make this happen. I have three published books of which one just came out in December. All of the profit from all three books is given to the ABLCS. This time I am dedicating the sales to this campaign for July. You can help, buy a book, have a bake sale, set up a walk-a-thon…do something. It is important to give back, and pass it forward.

If you want to know more about me and the books, visit www.authorsden.com/sylvialramsey1. The books are also on Amazon and Barnes and Noble online. The titles are Merchild Land, An Underground Jewell and Pulse Points of a Woman’s World. If you don’t read, give one to some who does.

I am sure you found this site for various reasons. Some of you have been recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, some are dealing with the various treatments, others are long-term survivors, and some are caregivers and family members. Whatever the reason, you found a place where you can find information, interact with others like yourself, and find support by knowing you are not alone. How can we ask outsiders to help, if we do not help ourselves!

Sylvia L. Ramsey

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne