We had cake! :)

13 years 7 months ago #34352 by mmc
We had cake! :) was created by mmc
I know I already mentioned that my 2 year cancer free anniversary was yesterday but I wanted to share that last night my wife surprised me with a cake.

I doubt that the store gets a request all that often for a cake that says "Congratulations on your two year cancer free anniversary!".

My wife is recovering from wrist/hand surgery and I've been lucky enough to not have had to travel this week so I can help her.

My kids/grandkids live nearby and we have a regular weekly family dinner. Last night, I made a nice dinner and was a bit confused why one of my granddaughters said she wanted cake instead of her lasagna and I tried to explain that the garlic bread was kind of like cake.

After dinner, came the surprise cake and song. Trying to convert Happy Birthday into Happy Cancer Free would have been a bit too complex so everyone just sang Happy Birthday. I suppose it's my neo's birthday so it all works out. :)

Later, I got to thinking a bit and realized if I'd never gotten bladder cancer, I never would have met so many wonderful people on this site. Now, don't get me wrong. If someone said "In order to get to meet some really great people on line, do you mind if I give you cancer?", I would certainly have taken a pass. However, since I didn't have a choice.... I'm glad to have met and communicated with so many great folks. From initial diagnosis and shock through surgeries and/or chemo, recovery, and getting back to normal life and sometimes in the heart wrenchingly sad passing of friends here. I'm a better person for having interacted with so many folks.

This morning, I sent my surgeon a thank you email because he saved my life. He feels bad about some of the complications I've had, but those things are trivial in the grand scheme of things. In the grand scheme, I'm still here. In the grand scheme, I've been able to help a few folks because of what I went through and because of the things I learned from other people on this site when I was going through my initial dealings with bladder cancer and through my recurrence and surgery.

And now I'm posting this message to thank all of you here because you have enhanced my life as well.

Live like you're dying and never pass up an opportunity to tell people how you feel.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne