Arggghhhh.....Disaster

14 years 4 months ago #29346 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Arggghhhh.....Disaster
Hi Sara Anne, Going thru something like this is a real pain. For everyone out there that reads this if you are going out of town even for a short time flip the breaker to your pump off ,that way if something happens you don't get endless water going thru your house. My husband is a contractor and we live in a resort area. We cannot convince people to do this because they think if they turn down the heat as long as it is set above thirty two degrees their pipes won't freeze, wrong!! It is colder in the wall.
Someone said they think your house flooding is probaly worse then a fire, and I guess if floods from an outside source the mud and dirt would be awful. But I would take my house getting wet from the pipes anyday to a fire.
I wake up at night thinking my house is on fire , (we were asleep when ours caught on fire) I can,t tell you the terror when that happens.
Watch your contrators and cleaning companys and keep track of what they do.The people that my insurance company hired to do the work showed up the day after the fire, my husbands crew loaded 2 couches 2 loveseats, 2 chairs my kitchen table and chairs, 1 small chest, 1 ottoman , I never saw them or could get ahold of the owner for 6 months. I cleaned everything. They brought back that stuff and charged my insurance company ten thousand dollars. I threw a fit and would not sign the check, they were going to sue me (the cleaning company). What a load of stress . People couldn't understand they said the insurance comp. was the one paying it not me. Duhh Why do they think insurance cost so much , people cheating thats why !
I hope it all goes well for you and you end up with a beautiful place . In the end our fire was a blessing. My husband had just finished chemo but we had to get to work on rebuilding our house , doing this and pushing thru enabled him to get his strengh back .(kinda forced therapy) and I ended up changing walls and the kitchen around the that ended up being better ! Although sometimes I swear I can still smell smoke ! Blessings to you, Rocky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #29249 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Arggghhhh.....Disaster
Yes, Karen. I was in touch with my insurance company within an hour of notification, and have an adjustor assigned, with whom I have also spoken. She is the one who alerted me about the possibility of a deductible on the part of the condo assoc. which MY insurance would cover. I am sort of just lurking until the meeting between all the adjustors and that of the condo assoc. insurance. I am very fortunate to have USAA insurance, which is the best in the country. Have dealt with them before in "disasters." When I mentioned my insurance to the hazard remediation company rep, he commented on how lucky I was...he deals with all the insurance companies.

It is just interesting to find out all the things you never think of...until something happens.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

14 years 5 months ago #29247 by karenb
Replied by karenb on topic Arggghhhh.....Disaster
I would check with your insurance agent regarding you and the other condo owners being responsible for the condo assoc's deductible. It is usually the named insured on the policy to be responsble for their own deductible. I would recommend dealng with your insurance company and let them deal with the assoc's company. That's part of what you pay the premiums for. Let them handle all the negotiations wiht the other company. Unfortuneately, sometimes people don't find out the details of their policies until something happens. Now is a good time to review your policy to be sure you're not missing any coverage that you may need in the future.
Water damage is a pain. We went through it a few years ago with water backup from an outdoor drain which flood our lower level where our family room was located. Most used room in the house. As someone else mentioned, be sure to take pictures of the damage and document everything going on and what you are being told, with dates and names.
Good luck with the clean up and restoration. Hang tough, this too will pass.

14 years 5 months ago #29239 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Arggghhhh.....Disaster
The insurance part of this is very interesting....as they say. The Condo Assoc insurance is liable ONLY for structural type components....They will cover the floors, ceilings, drywall, and probably the shorted furnace. This insurance has a $10,000 deductible....(see below).

My tenant (the place is rented until my house sells) has to depend on her renter's insurance..which she fortunately has....for everything: temporary living expenses, cleanup of her soaking wet furniture...

MY condo owner's insurance is liable for everything else, but does contain a rent reimbursement feature. Also, it has a
$1000 deductible.

Now, as for the condo assoc. deductible. I have been told by their insurance company that the insurance companies of the four owners who are involved will have to cover that $10,000, prorated.

Interesting what we don't know until something happens.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

14 years 5 months ago #29234 by LeeH
Replied by LeeH on topic Arggghhhh.....Disaster
Good advice from Rockyiss. Seems like the association ins will be responsible for all repairs and replacement since it was their common element fire supression pipe that burst.

Watch out for them trying to just give you current value on your ruined belongings instead of replacement cost.

Leeh

14 years 5 months ago #29216 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Arggghhhh.....Disaster
Saraanne. take lots of pictures of the damage and keep a jounal about what they are all telling you, dates ,times ,names. If someone started to give grief you will need the documuntation to prove everything, no matter how nice they seem. Rocky

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne