Flu, the mashed potato war and Thanksgiving

14 years 5 months ago #29007 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Flu, the mashed potato war and Thanksgiving
Thanks for the kind words! The flu is a thing of the past but I had to do a UTI just to say I did. I did not write this to tell everyone that I had a bad life; nothing could be further from the truth. The reason I wrote it was that I think sometimes we need to share the fact that even though we have a chin up attitude it does not mean we do not have bad days. Often we tend to build holidays into a Norman Rockwell moment and they do not meet our expectations, and for some sadness and depression can follow. The reality of the situation is that for most nothing is as perfect as we wish it were and it leaves us the choice of appreciating what we have or being upset for what didn’t live up to our expectations.

George I think we could do a whole section here on what pets have meant to some of us during hard times in our lives. Sam the Yorkshire terrier had to be taken bodily from me to eat and go out when I was going through treatments and surgeries. My family thinks it is because he was worried about who would spoil him rotten if anything happened to me but I like to think it had something to do with love and loyalty.

As for a Thanksgiving that we still talk was one that had to do with the flu as well in 2004. As I was in the middle of chemotherapy and radiation the decision was made that this year we would eat out. I had made a reservation for the whole family at a nice area restaurant. We woke up Thanksgiving morning and Ed was very sick with the flu and was not up to going anywhere. Now the problem was that the others in the group were all of my in laws and not a one of them were under 80 not a problems in itself if you didn’t know my mother in law. Mary had never had a problem of saying exactly what she was thinking and at 90 she was hard of hearing and just said it louder. The only person she would ever behave for was my husband. Being a wise woman I knew I need back up so I called my 21 year old son and told him he had to take his father’s place and after some threats about Santa not coming he of course graciously accepted. As we were being seated I said hello to the last person I wanted to see at the table next to ours a nasty business rival who I had over the years been very careful to only show strength and dignity. It was going pretty well and I had convinced myself that we were going to get out of there without major mishap. I excused myself to the ladies room and had no sooner returned than Mary looked and me and said in a voice so that everyone in the room could hear ‘Go Pee?’ I smiled and shook my head yes and thought well if that is the worst of it when…….’Nice wig’ came out of her mouth. Now Mary on a roll was a thing of wonder and she didn’t disappoint once she got rolling. By the way my son could have been some help if he could have stopped laughing long enough. To tell you the truth my dignity being dented didn’t kill me at all and I still laugh whenever I think of it. I would give a great deal to have one more holiday wondering what Mary would say next.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #28990 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Flu, the mashed potato war and Thanksgiving
When my sister-in-law made her first turkey she was upset that there wasn't much breast meat on it. When we peeked in the oven we all had a good laugh , she had cooked it upside down !! It was the juicest turkey I ever had.

14 years 5 months ago #28959 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Flu, the mashed potato war and Thanksgiving
Cynthia,

I so enjoyed reading your Thanksgiving story. You made the best of a (at the time)bleak looking situation. And you are so right to remind us that yes, we often don't get all that we want or how we want it but we usually get just "enough" of what we need. When I was in my early 20's one of the first turkeys I every prepared, I made the stuffing with garlic....bad idea....had to toss the entire bird. :ohmy:

My daughter absolutely loves mashed potatoes; I think it might be her favorite of foods so she would have been delighted to find that a least a helping remained in the bowl. I think during this time of the year, where the weeks and months are dark and dreary and wet (esp. in the Northwest), that stories like this help to lift our spirits and recognize that we should be thankful for the goodness we do have in our life. And so much of that has to do with attitude.

I'm reminded to appreciate the days we have left with our dog, Jake, is is not 17 yrs. and 4 months....what a loving family dog he has been...an English setter. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and hoping by this time you are feeling so much better. Hugs, Melodie :ohmy:

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

14 years 5 months ago #28955 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Flu, the mashed potato war and Thanksgiving
Cynthia, I am saddened by your Thanksgiving story. But there is an upside. You could have made bourbon stuffing that was 90 proof when it got to the table (Yuck!)
Or there was the charcoal bricket turkey I made the year I tried deep frying a turkey the first time! I pulled that baby out of the oil in front of 14 guests and my brother commented that we may not have enough peanut butter to feed the crowd!
I am sorry you were sick for your Thanksgiving. But, with your good attitude (an a good soul wrenching cry) you saw the better side of the day.
I propose we use this blog to tell of our funniest, worst, most painful Thanksgiving day disasters. Looking back on our most tragic Thanksgiving Day disasters, maybe we can find a little hope, laughter and meaning to a day that usually never comes out as planned.
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

14 years 5 months ago #28946 by Webs
Amen to both of you. Sometimes we get just enough to keep going. Will I lost my beloved Prince a few weeks ago and my first fury baby motor cat is not long for this world. She comforted me through my recovery and all I can do now is be her comfort. She spends all her time sleeping on me and I hope that I am giving her some measure of peace. The vet says she is not in pain just slowly winding down. As strange as it is I think she is pining for my dog and has decided to let go.

The only thing she will eat for the last few days is tiny bits of turkey. Thank God the oven did not break until after it finished roasting.

God bless you both. Cynthia all I can say is I am so glad you got so mashed potatoes and I hope you are both feeling better.

Webs

14 years 5 months ago #28934 by SailorMan
Replied by SailorMan on topic Flu, the mashed potato war and Thanksgiving
I'm glad that yuo got to have SOME mashed potatoes!

I think that your reflection was spot on. I just read the most amazing R/C story on BCAN - a woman whose mother had it done in Greece. Here is the link www.inspire.com/kifisia/journal/rc-completed/#replies

After reading that, I am even MORE thankful for the great medical care that I've had here in the US. There may be cost issues and I surely understand that but at least we have nurses and even soap in the bathrooms. Things that we take for granted like the silly plastic lung exercisers (that I just knocked off my shelf yesterday) are luxuries that they don't even see.

As for Sam the dog, well, we lost my little friend tiffany two weeks ago - I haven't even told my online friends (and her online fans) about this yet. She was with us for over 12 yrs and over 14 when she died. Such a wonderful friend to all of us. Yesterday, my mom and I visited my aunt who is 99 yrs old and you might guess that her memory is not good. She only met Tiffany once and was not a dog fan but weny on and on about how much she loved Tiffany.
For me, even though she was an important member of the family for so long, she was even more of a great companion after my R/C. She would lay there with me and "check" on me often to see how I was doing.

She will be remembered by all who knew her.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne