Pro’s, Con’s H1N1 your thoughts?

14 years 6 months ago #28405 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Pro’s, Con’s H1N1 your thoughts?
Hi All,
I won·t have the flu shot, mainly because I want the minimum of foreign material introduced into my system,unless it is essential, but also my lack of confidence in the goverment guidelines where vaccination is concerned. I am not in a high risk group, so I will stick with my daily Vitamin C dose and wash my hands regularly,
Diane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #28393 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Pro’s, Con’s H1N1 your thoughts?
Well here's a good one for you.....all the kids at my Granddaughters elementary school got the shots....and now 78 out of 150 are out with the swine flu? too little too late my guess.
But hey they're giving prisioners the shots as a priority. That makes sense huh.
Nothing makes sense to me today:silly: Pat

14 years 6 months ago #28388 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Pro’s, Con’s H1N1 your thoughts?
Still thinking about H1N1 vaccine, anybody? I find the guidelines increasingly confusing. In part I think it's because there's a vaccine shortage, so there are higher and lower priority groups even among the high priority groups. So (1)cancer is on the list of conditions putting people into a higher risk category (so one would be on a higher priority for getting the vaccine), but (2)older folks (over 60 or 65) are being told not to get the vaccine now, cancer or no cancer. I have a friend in her early 60s who's been told she SHOULD get the vaccine now because she's diabetic.

I did get the seasonal flu vaccine, and will wait on the H1N1 decision until I'm done with my maintenance BCG next week. (Maybe I'll ask the urologist what he advises.) Given that there's a major vaccine shortage, I'd just as soon let all the kids, young people and pregnant women go to the head of the line. The university where I work had a student clinic scheduled next week, and were expecting 6,000 doses; they've had to cancel, with no reschedule date, and only have enough doses to vaccinate those who self-identify as being high risk (pregnant, etc.).

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

14 years 7 months ago #28061 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Pro’s, Con’s H1N1 your thoughts?
Do keep in mind that not all swine flu is the same, just as each seasonal flu varies, so, while previous exposure or immunization against swine flu may afford you some protection, if you're in a high risk group or a healthcare worker like me, you still should get the vaccine.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

14 years 7 months ago #28060 by pemquid
Replied by pemquid on topic Pro’s, Con’s H1N1 your thoughts?
I think my flu immunity is pretty high, as I had the "Asian flu" (I think it was called) back in 1957-58 when I was in high school and I've never had any kind of flu since. I think that strain was H2N2, and it caused a major pandemic. I finally decided to start getting seasonal flu shots maybe about 10 years ago, but am not sure I really need the H1N1, at least not right away. By age, I'm in a low risk group (66).

I have 3 weeks of BCG coming up, starting October 22, so I want to get through that before putting any more into my body. (Last year, I had asked my uro about the seasonal flu immunization and BCG, and he said there was no problem having the flu shot while on BCG, but I think I got mine after I was done the BCG just to be on the safe side.)

Ann

Small TA Grade 1, May-06; recur (2 tiny), same, June-08; TURBTs both times. BCG begun July-08, dosage to 1/3rd May-10, completed treatment December-11. All clear since 2008.

14 years 7 months ago #28058 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Pro’s, Con’s H1N1 your thoughts?
I had heard there was an older set of people who would be immune but I thought it was much older...like those in their 70's or 80's; good to know I'm probably protected because of my age. I did not plan on getting the vaccine either way.

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne