CaringBridge Web Sites

14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #26126 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic CaringBridge Web Sites
You will find Caring Bridge in our blc links under staying in touch.
Another really good site is Lotsa Helping Hands it is set up so your friends and family can communicate about such things as who will do dinner for you on a certain day they are really both nice sites.

www.bladdercancersupport.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=48&Itemid=103

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #26123 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic CaringBridge Web Sites
Mike,

I used Caring Bridge during my cancer journey and found it an absolutely wonderful way to keep in touch with people...especially my co-workers...I wanted them to follow my progress, to learn from me, to know that I would overcome and return to work and I did. They really looked forward to reading my journal and were actually sad when I ceased writing...which I stopped once I was nearing my return to work date. I mentioned Caring Bridge earlier in one of my posts....am so glad you are providing the details as it's really a wonderful tool. Thanks. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #26052 by mmc
CaringBridge Web Sites was created by mmc
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate spot for this message or if it should be in caregivers forum or elsewhere. In any case, I'll put it here in the hopes that it can be useful for folks.

Last year, a good friend's wife had some major back surgery. In order to keep everyone informed, their daughter created a web site at www.caringbridge.org .

The service is free, has step by step instructions for creating a simple web site that you explain the story (what happened to the person), post pictures, and create regular journal updates. Friends and family can go to the site, read the daily (or whatever interval somebody makes them) updates and sign the guestbook with well wishes.

A few months ago, my mother-in-law had a severe brain stem stroke. My father-in-law was quite stressed just with that situation let alone trying to keep everyone informed of the situation and what progress or lack of progress there was. Because I knew about the CaringBridge site, I created one for him and all he has to do is put in journal updates. People can sign up to be notified via email whenever there is an update to the site. It alleviated a LOT of stress for my father-in-law as he was reliving moments each and every phone call and that was really hard on him.

For people who don't use computers, I suggested that he accept offers of help from others who do have computers and ask them to call others when they see an update on the caringbridge site and let them know how things are going.

There is no charge for the service and I can't tell you how much difference it has made for us.

For those that need to keep friends and family updated it is a fantastic tool.

When people sign the guestbook, my father-in-law prints them out and takes them to the hospital and reads them to my mother-in-law.

I am in no way associated with the site other than having used it to keep track of my friend's wife and having created a site for my father-in-law. I just think it's been a Godsend and wanted to pass the information along to folks here that may also find it useful.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne