I\'m back!!!

14 years 11 months ago #25862 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic I\'m back!!!
Yes, Mike....There is a lot to like about Japan, including SOME of the food (I will never be an aficianado of raw fish or bean paste or tofu!) The masks were ubiquitous due to the swine flue panic. First noticed it in the SF airport where all Japanese were wearing them. We had to wait on the plane for about 30 min at Arita for the public health officials to check the plane out. First we filled out a questionnaire about our recent health. Then a huge team of people in surgical gowns, vented masks, and goggles entered the plane...they looked surreal. They had a camera-like device that picked up heat and looked at everyone through it. In our section (the very back) of the plane they identified two people in the middle seats for further examination. My friend and I were sitting by the windows so they let us go, but the people within 12 rows of the two "suspects" were temporarily held until the "suspects" were clared; otherwise they would have been held for 10 days! We were given masks when we left the plane and had to wear them until we passed ANOTHER health check before passport control.
In Japan saw lots of masks and some people covered their noses when they passed us, Americans who might infect them!

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #25844 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic I\'m back!!!
Welcome home! I hope you had a great time.

Beyond the automatic toilets, they have quite a few other pretty neat things in Japan.

If you get a taxi there, the drivers are dressed in suits, NEVER smell bad, and wear white gloves. Also, they speak the language of the country they work in (unlike most in the U.S.). Most of the taxi drivers don't speak English but if you have gone in cabs in the U.S. you are already used to that. ;)

They don't have to get out to open the door of the taxi and you don't have to open it either. They have a button in front that automatically opens and closes the door for you. You certainly don't want to be getting germs from touching the door handle of the taxi! :)

Also, did you notice how anybody that was feeling at all under the weather or thought they may have been exposed to a cold or flu was wearing a mask in public? It is considered basic manners to wear a mask so you don't cause others to become ill. They give them out free at the train stations and other places.

Also, their bowing does not spread germs through hand to hand contact the way we do here when shaking hands (after coughing or sneezing into it).

Great food there too!!!

Can you tell I miss it a bit? I've been a number of times to Tokyo and Osaka and really enjoyed it. I was working, but I still did get some to explore. The BEST time is mid-April when the cherry blossoms bloom around the cities, highways, and canals.

Trivia: The cherry trees in Washington, D.C. were are gift from Japan (the City of Tokyo). 2000 trees were a gift in 1910 because they knew Mrs. Taft was interested in the idea of lining the reclaimed Potomac river front and some streets in Washington with Japanese cherry trees.

www.nps.gov/cherry/cherry-blossom-history.htm

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 11 months ago #25840 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic I\'m back!!!
Welcome Home! That would be one great vacation! Wouldn't be nice if just our Uro's had one of those toilets? Almost fun to do a urine sample:)
It would certainly help out after BCG and all the urgency runs, too!

Nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

14 years 11 months ago #25839 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic I\'m back!!!
ADDENDUM:

www.totousa.com/Default.aspx?tabid=110

One feature I forgot to mention: the soft, warm air-dry

BCG; BCG maintenance
Forum Moderator

14 years 11 months ago #25837 by sara.anne
I\'m back!!! was created by sara.anne
You all noticed I was gone, right? :laugh:

Just returned from a two-week trip to Japan. Left Osaka by plane and got to Portland before I left Japan...(the International Date Line trick.)

Had a wonderful time, and came back with wonderful memories. My TOP impression of Japan was the toilets!! They vary in features, but the top-of-the-line models by Toto have the following amenities: Walk in the commode room and the top cover automatically opens; the seat is heated; either on a console on the side or on the wall nearby is a sort of control panel with illustrated buttons...you can push one for a "bidet" wash, a second to wash your butt (all with warm water); and, on some high-end models, there is a button for a "flushing sound" for people whose delicate sensitivity requires them to cover the sound of "tinkling." Our guide commented (in jest I hope) that they are developing a model that says "welcome" when you walk in the room!! He said that 70% of Japanese homes have some form of these toilets!!

Really enjoyed my visit there and won't bore you with any more tales, but this one did seem suited to this forum!!

Sara Anne

BCG; BCG maintenance
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne