Organ donation query

15 years 2 months ago #24431 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Organ donation query
Oh i know Diane....I just thought i'd tell my experience. I do have it in my will to donate but not on my drivers liscense anymore and its very specific as to what i would give.
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 2 months ago #24430 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Organ donation query
Hi Pat ,
The article from the ACS was very interesting. I was sorry to hear what happened in your husband·s case, I can·t begin to imagine how you must have felt, and sorry if my post reopened bad memories for you. It was just something that was on my mind - I was thinking more about for example if I was a candidate to donate a kidney, would there be a risk of the recipient developing cancer?
Diane

15 years 2 months ago #24428 by Patricia
On this subject of organ donation i have to tell you i always supported it until my husband died. He had on his drivers liscence that he would donate his organs . My husband died on the operating table during bypass..i was told he had a severe leaking mitral valve and had a major heart attack during surgery. They also could not find any viable veins for the bypass. All things they should have known ahead of time. He was put on a ventilator and i was told they were waiting for a heart. Even with my brain cells not functioning properly I wondered what they would attach the heart to if their were no viable veins? He was taken off the ventilator 4 hrs later and died at l2:01 a.m. After time with my family, much crying, and going home to contemplate what really happened i got a phone call at 4:30 in the morning from a young intern who just happened to notice on his liscence that he was a donor. OMG i thought...i should never have left him there. Time for recovery is only while the heart is still beating. Only a few things like corneas, tissue and bone can be taken within a 24 hr period. I was just mortified..there was no doubt the interns wanted to practice. I think i threatened her with her life if she laid one hand on him and i called the funeral home to go and get him right away and went back to the hospital until they came. I would have gladly honored his wish to give his kidneys or liver or other viable organs had they asked me at the hospital.....but this was just wrong.
pat

15 years 2 months ago #24426 by Patricia
a lot of it varies by state.. here's a good article frpm the ACS.
www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_1_4x_Donation_by_Cancer_Survivors.asp
Pat

15 years 2 months ago #24425 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Organ donation query
I don't have an authoritative answer, but I strongly doubt that our organs would be used. I had breast cancer more than ten years ago and I know that, at least for five years, I could not donate blood.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

15 years 2 months ago #24424 by Flamenco.
Organ donation query was created by Flamenco.
When I lived in the UK, I used to carry an organ donor card authorising removal of organs in the event that I was killed in an accident. Can anyone tell me if organs are suitable for donation, if the donor has or has had cancer ? ?
Thanks, Diane.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne