Flan Recipe (actually two)

15 years 3 months ago #24099 by Webs
Flan Recipe (actually two) was created by Webs
Sorry It took me so long I just remembered. I have never tried the second recipe. if someone does please let me know if it is good because it looks much easier to make.:woohoo:

FLAN

1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
5 large whole eggs
5 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small, heavy saucepan, dissolve 3/4 cup of sugar in a 1/4 cup water. Over moderate heat stir and bring the syrup to a boil. Leave uncovered and undisturbed until it begins to turn golden brown. Continue to boil, swirling the pan until the syrup is a deep amber color. Pour immediately into a nonstick loaf-pan. Swirl pan till bottom and 1/2 inch up the side of pan is covered. Let caramel harden.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In another saucepan scald (heating to just below boiling and a skin forms over the top) the milk and cream. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, yolks, and remaining sugar. Add scalded milk in a stream while whisking. Stir in vanilla. Pour custard through a fine strainer into the prepared loaf-pan.

Set loaf-pan in a larger pan and pour hot tap water into the outer pan until the level reaches halfway up the side of the loaf-pan. Cover with a layer of foil and place pan on middle rack of oven. Bake for 1 hour 10 min. or until a knife inserted1 inch in from the edge comes out clean. Flan will continue to set as it cools. Remove loaf pan from water and remove foil. Place on a rack and cool. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours or up to 1 day. Run a thin knife around all sides of the pan and invert Flan onto platter. Serve with fresh fruit.

EGGLESS FLAN

3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup milk
3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs unflavored gelatin
3 TBS brandy

In a small, heavy saucepan, dissolve 3/4 cup of sugar in a 1/4 cup water. Over moderate heat stir and bring the syrup to a boil. Leave uncovered and undisturbed until it begins to turn golden brown. Continue to boil, swirling the pan until the syrup is a deep amber color. Pour immediately into a pan or casserole dish with high sides approximately 1 1/2 to 2 quart capacity. Let caramel harden.

In a medium pan combine 1/2 cup milk, the cream, and the powdered sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Meanwhile in a bowl stir gelatin into remaining 1/2 cup of milk and set aside for 3 minutes until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove boiled milk mixture from heat and gently stir in gelatin mixture, then add brandy. Pour mixture into into caserol dish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until mixture is very firm. Run a thin knife around all sides of the pan and invert Flan onto platter. Serve with fresh fruit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne