Bull Fighters Beef Stew Yummy !!!!

15 years 8 months ago #20541 by lisaloo
Replied by lisaloo on topic Bull Fighters Beef Stew Yummy !!!!
Hi Pat
Dont be scared it just means one that can be used on the hob.If it was possible to burn the house down I would have done it.
Lisa x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #20495 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Bull Fighters Beef Stew Yummy !!!!
uuuuuuh..........its the large flame proof casserole dish thats got me worried..i'll probably burn the house down!:dry: Pat

15 years 8 months ago #20485 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic Bull Fighters Beef Stew Yummy !!!!
Lisa This looks delicious :P
I am going to the grocery store today and it will be on the menu for this week! :)

Thanks!

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20484 by lisaloo
Bull Fighters Beef Stew Yummy !!!! was created by lisaloo
As promised to Karen and Holly this is so good and really easy its based on a traditional recipe from the Camargue in southern France using beef from bullfighting cattle.However in the absence of my own bullfighting herd supermarket stuff tastes pretty good oh and the wine should be corbieres which is from the same region and quite a light fruity red wine .

1.5 kg stewing beef cut into 5cm chunks
2 medium onions
6 cloves of garlic crushed
2 peeled carrots cut on the diagonal into chunky slices
I bottle red wine
2 large sprigs of thyme
1 large spig of rosemary
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
6 cloves
cinnamon stick
3tblsp olive oil
75gm cubed pancetta
black olives

Put the beef,herbs, spices, onions carrots and wine in a large bowl and cover then leave for 24 hours marinate in the fridge stirring once or twice.

Next day tip the meat and vegetables into a colinder over a bowl and leave to drain well.Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large flameproof casserole and fry the beef until browned you will need to do this 2 or 3 lots to make sure it browns rather than sweats season with salt and freshly ground black pepper as you go.Set aside on a warmed plate.

Heat the rest of the olive oil and fry off the pancetta until golden add the draied veg from the marinade and fry briefly until the onions are soft and starting to turn colour.

Return the beef and and the reserved marinade to the pan add the olives and season to taste with salt and black pepper.Bring to the boil then cover and turn to the lowest heat to simmer for at least 2 1/2 hours until the beef is super tender.Thicken the sauce with butter mixed with flour and any fresh herbs you have available if we are swanky french cooks a "beurre manie"

Traditionally this is served with a macaronade which is macoroni cooked then softened with sauce from the stew and topped with parmesan before being put under a hot grill.We love it with a mash made from half potatoe and half celariac.Its also good just with green beans and crusty bread.

Its a great dinner party dish and should serve 8 easily the flavour is really strong and was great for cutting through nasty chemo mouth.
Enjoy Lisa

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne