Brocolli Info

15 years 9 months ago #19625 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Brocolli Info
I have to agree I am not sure I could do the juice but the sprouts are suppose to be a even better source of the good stuff and taste good in a salad. If you Google growing brocolli sprouts you will get a lot of information on how to do it and places to buy the seed. The following is one such site.

www.sproutpeople.com/seed/broccoli.html

Happy sprouting!

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19621 by newbie08
Replied by newbie08 on topic Brocolli Info
My mum had 1st attempt at the juice (or more so a blend) with the brocolli this morning, apparently didnt go too well :lol: The brocolli was too hard etc...

She's trying again now, this time going to steam the brocolli to soften it a little before blending!

I'll keep ye posted!

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19620 by timb
Replied by timb on topic Brocolli Info
there are two basic types of juicer; centrifugal which spins and forces fruit and veg through a fine mesh to extract the juice and the more expensive masticating juicer which grinds the pulp. its more efficient and has a better juice yield but you can pay 100s of $ for them. i use a centrifugal one. expect to use a lot of broccoli for even a tiny amount of juice! carrots are good but you shouldn't be doing too much fruit. best used as a sweetener for the less palatable juices like cabbage. also expect a degree of room-clearing wind with some combinations. carrot a single apple is good. your skin will shine after a few weeks of sensible juicing. but again check with docs and take dietary advice. the wetter the remaining pulp the less efficient the juicer. some people use the pulp in things like soups. its a good way of using this by-product of juicing.

my 2 cents worth!

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19619 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Brocolli Info
Julie, I haven't bought the sprouts in a long time, but, I used to be able to get them at Lowe's Foods. I live on the East Coast, so I'm not sure if you have that chain out West....

Also, I wonder how hard it would be to make your own sprouts. Alfalfa and mung bean sprouts are very, very easy to do....I guess it would be a matter of finding the seeds....

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

15 years 9 months ago #19618 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Brocolli Info
I think there is an appliance called a juicer. Several people have mentioned using it to prepare juice from vegetables and fruits especially when there are special dietary needs.

I don't have the citation but i believe that broccoli sprouts are supposed to have more of the anti-cancer ingredient. The trick is acquiring broccoli sprouts.

I make smoothies from yogurt, banana and other fruits but Dick won't drink them every day. I have a blender that does a good job but it is still a very fine grind and not juice.
Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #19604 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Brocolli Info
I really can't imagine how to make this, unless you throw it all in the blender and let it go....did you notice that the Doctors had asked for the "recipe"?

There must be a knack to this....

Actually, maybe the apples liquify the concoction, so you don't have to add extra water..

I don't own a blender, so I can't experiment. If you make this Newbie, please report back to us .

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne