Plant Something Today!

15 years 11 months ago #17154 by Rockyiss
Replied by Rockyiss on topic Plant Something Today!
Hi Rosemary, I like your birdbath and the cute little girl filling it up. I plant tons of flowers every year. Someone told me to plant flowers that come back every year and it would'nt be so much work. WRONG !! Before I just cleaned my beds turned them over, thru manure on them and planted. Now with the perenials I just can't dig it all up, so the moles love living there, noone to bother them, noone told me you had to divide the dumb plants all the time ,(they like the manure and grow like crazy!)Then just as there blooming they get mold or mildew or the flu or some other disease I can't stop and bingo all gone! Sooo I am going back to my annuals and my all time favorite , snapdragons !! I think I would have to pull them all out of the ground to kill them, they make it thru everything ,and I love all the different colors they look like a painting.
I can't wait to see how your rock garden turns out when it is done and growing well. We are just now putting some flowers in , there is still a chance of frost in the mountains. Rocky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #16964 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Plant Something Today!
I've begun to create a fledgling rock garden this year, and it has since become the greatest daily pleasure for me. I don't even want to go to my work-a-day job where I have to keep a phone stuck up to my ear all day :-X. I want to stay at home wielding my hoe and rake.

On Saturday after a productive day in the garden, I dreamed that I was braiding my grand-daughter's hair while imparting to her the secrets of life.

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 1 week ago #16485 by flamenco
Replied by flamenco on topic Plant Something Today!
Hi Pat, not sure what a crazy Cardinal is , but we have a small bird, I think its a wagtail of some sort, that comes and pecks at my kitchen window cos it sees a reflection. My parents always used to say this was a gypsy bird and bringer of good luck, so i·m always pleased to see it!
love Flamenco

16 years 1 week ago #16466 by Rosemary
Pat,

You are so funny.

This NC Revenue fella told me a similar story once about a bird who liked to rattle at the sill of his bedroom window in the early mornings. He tried several things to shoo the bird gently away, including taping a picture of a cat to the glass. Didn't do a thing to dismay the bird. What finally did work, was placing a sheet of aluminum foil across the glass. I think a 6 foot Barbara Bush might have been scarier.

Glad you dodged the bullet on the root canal. The peridontal thing runs close second in terms of torture, though.

I wish my lantana would bloom. The hasta has returned!!

Best,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

16 years 1 week ago #16465 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Plant Something Today!
OK...no root canal...didn't need it after all...but i did need to go to the periodontist and have my gums scraped and planed(sp?) an ancient torture ritual......Boy was that a lot of fun...came home and dug out 3 dead azaleas, another dead little princess spirea, pulled weeds...and hit the nursery and got 3 of those everblooming variety of hydrangas which i'm hoping will grow where the 3 dead azaleas saw their demise in the draught of last summer!! And do you know only 8 of my hostas survived...I didn't think it was possible for them to die........so i have tons of work to do in my yard and then i'll go off an do my sons yard as his wife has rheumatoid arthritis and its very difficult for her to dig....but as you can see i love to play in the dirt. One year i had a crazy cardinal (i think they must be a bit mentally challanged) who kept seeing his reflection in my patio door and would fly into it..knock himself out...get up..and do it all over again. It was amusing for a while...but i finally got a hugh 6 ft figure of Barbara Bush (which i had for a very silly party of mine some time ago) and put her in the window...that scared him off..but my neighbors asked me one day who the older woman was that was always standing at the door?.....Pretty funny...maybe you had to be there???
Anyway happy gardening gals.............hugs..pat

16 years 2 weeks ago #16378 by Rosemary
I planted 6 yellow blooming lantanta plants around the bird feeder last week. I almost look forward to seeing the weeds sprout up, so I can get outside, grab my hoe and clean the area up. It is a time when I feel really alive, and glad to be so. There is a therapeutic feeling that goes along with digging in the dirt and pulling out weeds...

Last week, I saw a beautiful red headed wood pecker by a tree. They are an endangered species here. The squirrels are running everywhere unafraid through the yard, like it is their playground. I've never seen so many.
Best,
Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne