Books in which I am an author (maybe useful for insomniacs)

16 years 1 month ago #15311 by mssmr
HI to all who have asked me about my books. Here goes! :D

The book I am working on now is my first “solo” effort (unless my son has to
take over). It is the stories of women who did World War II war work at a big shipbuilding yard in Pasagoula. Mississippi. Their work was like that of
“Rosie the Riveter” – only it was welding rather than riveting. The most interesting part of the work so far has been interviewing the surviving
Rosies – all in their 80s by now! The work is in honor of my mother who
also excelled in “war work” – but I didn’t understand all that by the time
she died of lung cancer in 1978.

The other books “I’m in” are the following. They are academic type books
found mostly in college and university libraries and, though I hate to
admit it, probably of limited interest. Though if you like history,
you might see if you can get them by inter-library loan.

Sandra J. Sarkela, Susan Mallon Ross, and Margaret A. Lowe. From Megaphones to Microphones: Speeches by American Women 1920-1960, Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 2003. This is a collection of speeches with biographical sketches
and historical commentary.

Susan Mallon Ross. "Women's Ways of Playing." In Take Me Out to the Ball Game: Communicating Baseball. Gary Gumpert and Susan Drucker, eds. Hampton Press, 2002, 377-399. This is a chapter on women in baseball – like in the movie “A League of their Own.”

Susan Mallon Ross. "Two Rivers, Two Vessels: Environmental Problem Solving in an Intercultural Context." In Star Muir and Thomas Veenendall, eds., Earthtalk: Communication Empowerment for Environmental Action. Westport, CT: Praeger (Greenwood), 171-189. This is a chapter about communication among scientists,
Government officials and local residents (some of them native Americans) about
cleaning up sites of serious environmental pollution (including known carcinogens).

Thanks for asking -- they are nothing as big as that "Last Lecture" guy. ;)

Susan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne