Follow up Procedure

1 year 11 months ago #61290 by Sunshine2019
Replied by Sunshine2019 on topic Follow up Procedure
After the last recurrence, the doctor recommended another round of BCG.  This time it was "full strength" and not diluted due to shortage.  After that round of BCG, the doctor recommended we schedule a TURBT ahead of time - so if anything was present it could be treated right away.

Fast forward 6 months and the biopsy results have come back as CIS (again).  Doctor is recommending another round of BCG - and adding Interferon again.  That did seem to "work" last time.  

Any thoughts/input/recommendations from the community ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #61062 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Follow up Procedure
Sorry that your results were not better. The good news it is still noninvasive. Often, a second TURB is done to be sure. I would rely on your Doc as Sara Anne said, your team appears to be doing everything by the book. You are just a reminder of all that read this that 3 months, 6 months, and yearly follow-ups are important.

I would guess they will have you repeat your BCG protocol.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

2 years 5 months ago #61060 by Sunshine2019
Well the results are in, and they are not as we would have hoped

Non-invasive high-grade papillary urothelial carcinoma.- Muscularis propria is not identified.

2 years ago the treatment of BCG with Interferon worked well.  Is the treatment typically the same for a recurrence?  Any advice or suggested questions to ask my doctor would be appreciated.

2 years 5 months ago #61058 by Sunshine2019
You have a great memory!  Initially BCG and then BCG with Interferon.  THen a long stretch of time with some irritations that would appear, but thankfully nothing more than that.

I believe you are right in that there was a urine cytology last week and another one today.  Both negative.  I would think that a lesion might appear more like CIS vs a tumor.  My understanding is that there are less "false negatives" with CIS.  Is that your understanding as well?  

THank you for your support and information.  It means so very much!

2 years 5 months ago #61055 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Follow up Procedure
Hard not to be nervous!  If I remember correctly, you had BCG.  If this is correct it is very possible that the lesion could be a result of irritation from BCG.

I suspect that the test result from last week's cystoscopy was a urine cytology test, where they looked for suspicious cells in your urine.  It is good news that this was negative, but urine cytology tests always need confirmation by another method such as your TURB.

Your doctor's opinion is also good news, but she/you still need the biopsy results to be sure.  Your doc is doing all the right things.  The TURB will give you all a definitive answer.

Good luck!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sunshine2019

2 years 5 months ago #61054 by Sunshine2019
Follow up Procedure was created by Sunshine2019
At a follow up cystoscope last week the doctor reported everything looked good.  There was one questionable lesion however.

The doctor ordered a TURBT follow up.  Right before TURBT the doctor reported a NEGATIVE result from the cystoscope last week (unsure what test this resulted from).  

Following the TURBT,  the Doctor just came to see me. She said she is hopeful that it is inflammation.  She said urine in the bladder can cause irritation and that is could be that.   Yet it’s hard to tell by looking.  Biopsy test results in about a week.

I am curious how everyone would take this news?  It sounds encouraging.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne