size of tumor

8 years 6 months ago #49510 by Sylvia
Replied by Sylvia on topic size of tumor
Sara Anne Thank you for the advice. I'll have my daughter drive me for the first time. She will glad to do it for me. I will take plenty of old towels ! I feel less anxious already. I am so grateful to have found this forum. It helps to know your not alone and others can help by sharing their stories.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago #49501 by OldEngineer
Replied by OldEngineer on topic size of tumor
Sylvia - you should definitely ask your urologist to interpret this with certainty, but for what it is worth, it sounds like your tumor was 4 millimeters by 4 millimeters by 3 millimeters in size; by contrast, mine was 17 X 14 X 11, much larger by volume. The report suggests that they can't rule out invasion of the lamina propria which is the layer of the bladder right below the epithelia cells; invasion of the lamina propria would stage your cancer as T1, no invasion means superficial Ta. The fact that there was no muscle tissue present indicates that the urologist did not "dig deep enough" to get any; that is what happened to me as well on my first TURBT. Second TURBT he "dug deeper" and got muscle tissue so that the pathologist could look for evidence of cancer cells in that tissue - which would make the staging T2.

Bottom line is that as Sara Anne said, BCG is exactly the right treatment here since you have CIS and high grade. Needless to say, best of luck to you; I also start BCG next week, we can compare notes.

T1 high grade transcell diagnosed 8/14/2015
TURBT 8/21/2015, removed tumor (17mmX14mmX11mm)
Repeat TURBT performed 9/25/2015
Pathology Report: no residual cancer detected
BCG planned starting in October

8 years 6 months ago #49500 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic size of tumor
Sylvia, everyone responds/reacts to BCG somewhat differently. I went by myself to the urologist's office for the instillations and drove myself home....about 1/2 hour. You might want someone to go with you the first time until you are familiar with the "feeling." I know that they want you to hold it for two hours if you can....I always made it at least to 1 hour and 45 minutes!! Have not had experience with the interferon. I would take a pile of old towels just in case.
You can wash them with bleach...not so the car seat.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 6 months ago #49494 by Sylvia
Replied by Sylvia on topic size of tumor
Thank you for your response Sara Anne.....I forgot to mention that I will also be getting interferon in my treatments. Will I get sick from the treatments? Do l need a driver to take me? I am an hour away from the hospital.

8 years 6 months ago #49487 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic size of tumor
Not being a pathologist, I really cannot interpret the size part of the path report. I suspect that it is descriptive of the size of the sample, but don't really know.

The "take-home" from this is clear, however. The diagnosis was "high grade papillary" and CIS. The treatment plan is right-on.....BCG is most effective in high grade tumors and with CIS....which is also a high grade form of urotheleal
cancer.

You have discovered the dirty little secret of bladder cancer....it tends to return. You are in an excellent place for treatment, and, the type you have is very often readily treated with BCG.

Good luck to you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylvia

8 years 6 months ago #49486 by Sylvia
size of tumor was created by Sylvia
My recent pathology report stated ....high grade papillary urotheleal carcinoma.......laminar invasion cannot be excluded with certainty......flat urotheleal carcinoma in-site.....follicular cystitis.......muscular is propaganda not present for evaluation......0.4 times 0.4 times 0.3 cm. I am to start BCG in 3 weeks......This is my third experience with bladder cancer ,the last being a small spot 5 years ago that was removed with no following treatments ,just follow ups. I am a 76 yr. old female. I'm don't completely understand the report or the size of the tumor. I am a little anxious about this report and would appreciate any or all feedback. l receive all my medical attention at the Cleveland Clinic which is number 2 in Urology.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne