My Mom is having her bladder removed on 8/30/10

13 years 8 months ago #33467 by sheri91360
Replied by sheri91360 on topic My Mom is having her bladder removed on 8/30/10
Pat, I don't know how to respond privately. As mentioned, I am new to forums. Sorry. The history is this. My mom always goes for her yearly physicals..to the GYN and regular Physician. Seven years ago Mom's urinalysis showed RBC, she had no symptoms. She was sent to a Urologist, had a Cysto which showed a tumor. The tumor was removed, found to be malignant and she had BCG treatments. then frequent Cystos until the five year mark. After being clear for five years she's been having Cystos once a year. As previously mentioned, after the GYN and Proctologist found nothing after she has been complaining of terrible rectal and vaginal burning my Mom took it upon herself to schedule the Cystos. two months early. My Mom belongs to Kaiser and lives in Westlake, CA (southern California, Ventura County)..... I am very concerned with Kaiser. Although she loves Dr. Singer and trusts him. However the fact the Dr Singer (being a Urologist) said her vaginal and rectal burning has NOTHING to do with the bladder is a big red flag. He is saying that we have to deal with what we know and for now we need to remove the bladder. Last week she had a CT Scan, bone scan and chest Xray. All ok. I will suggest to my parents getting a second opinion. And definitely print out your email. The nerve stuff you are explaining makes sense to me! I don't know the kind of cancer or grade etc. I just know it is higher up in the bladder (which we are told is not good) and more invasive. Thank you so much!
Sheri91360

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #33466 by mmc
Sheri,

Don't worry about the terminology.

So did they decide that they can not do an Indiana Pouch (a replacement bladder constructed inside the body that the ureters are connected to with a creation of a stoma that can be in or near the navel and emptied with a catheter)?

It sounds like you may be describing the ileal conduit surgery where the ureters are connected to a stoma on the outside of the body and a bag is placed over the stoma to collect urine.

The surgeon should know that she is left handed and you both should ask the doctor about that placement.

Is she otherwise in good health? Do you know why they are going with the bag instead of a continent diversion (Indiana Pouch)?

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 8 months ago #33460 by sheri91360
Hello, My Mom is scheduled to have her bladder removed on Aug. 30th. She is an active 75 year old who still works and is in a bowling league twice a week. Please forgive me if I do not use the correct terminology here, I am new to this and have never participated in a blog or forum. My Mom is all doom and gloom. I am thinking positive and that she will be fine. Next week she will be meeting with a surgeon to mark the spot where the tube will be placed in her abdomen (where the bag will be attached). It would seem to me that there is probably a place that is more comfortable for this tube to be placed. Perhaps more towards the right side (since she is left handed) so that when she can bowl again it won't interfere with her bowling??? I don't know. I just want to make sure that she is as informed as possible, this small detail may come back to haunt her later. Or where the tube is placed may make her able to wear her favorite slacks that she know feels she won't ever be able to wear again. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne