Proposed solution for Neo incontinence

14 years 11 months ago #25707 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Proposed solution for Neo incontinence
Webs,

Would conversion to an Indiana pouch with the navel stoma work?
Seems like it might be better than incontinence...

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #25706 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Proposed solution for Neo incontinence
Well I thought I would update the curious on the sling option. The experts on this coast and at the Cleveland Clinic all agree that the sling is to dangerous and difficult to do on a neo-bladder. :S Turns out the neo is bigger than a normal bladder causing complications.

I will keep trying for continence the old way, but am not optimistic. There is some talk of injecting bulking agents into the urethra, but the long term results for those are not promising. Seems like they are more trouble than there worth.

Don't worry fellow female sufferers, if I ever find a solution I will let you know.

Webs :kiss:

15 years 1 week ago #25396 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic Proposed solution for Neo incontinence
Whilst here at home have had a quick surf of the 'net' re botox etc but am not sure it would help. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
I found this article which explains the procedure: www.newscientist.com/article/dn2327-botox-cure-for-urinary-incontinence.html
Anne

15 years 1 week ago #25382 by Betsy Mae
Replied by Betsy Mae on topic Proposed solution for Neo incontinence
Webs!
I had a bit of a thought, lying in my hospital bed last night, about your problem and a possible solution:
I remember meeting a lady on one of my previous hospital admissions who was in for botox! "Why?" we all asked - quite pertinent as we were on a Urology ward! She was having it to combat her chronic incontinence. Not sure how it would work and have not looked up any references but could it be another avenue to explore? If the Docs are considering a procedure they would offer for a 'normal' bladder then why not this procedure too? I would imagine it might need to be repeated regularly but at least it is not as invasive as the surgery?
Just a thought!
Anne
(Currently at home on day leave - need to go back at 4.30pm to have a new canula jammed -er I mean placed! - ready for the next lot of antibiotics. Allowed out to play tomorrow too!):woohoo:
:woohoo:

15 years 1 week ago #25304 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic Proposed solution for Neo incontinence
Hi Webs,

I checked with my surgeon @ UCSF - Dr. Konety - about converting from a neo to an Indy.

He said that first there needs to be an evaluation of what was done during your surgery for the neobladder. He has done this type of conversion surgery before (neo to Indy). (just a note - he worked with Dr. O'Donnell previously)

Maybe you could consult with him? Let me know if I can help in any way. He is a great surgeon and a compassionate person.

Gracie

15 years 1 week ago #25258 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Proposed solution for Neo incontinence
I am always amazed at how quickly i can reach someone at The Cleveland Clinic...they have got to be the most personable caring group around....anyway i got in touch with Suzi..Dr. Falcone's nurse...and she said he has not done the sling for neobladders BUT She HAS PEOPLE!!:laugh:
So she's going to do some fishing for me in both the Uro and OB/Gyn department and see what she can come up with. Hope i hear something soon.........Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne