Trying to conceive

16 years 2 months ago #13303 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic Trying to conceive
I found these two 1995 article citations using "Google Scholar."

Laughlin KR, Ng B. Bladder Cancer during pregnancy. Br J Urol 1995, 76, 421-2

Laughlin, KR. The management of urological malignancies during pregnancy. Br J Urol 1995, 76, 639-44.

Are they the same ones you found?

Wishing you success in your quest for information and the larger goal that has motivated it. Susan (mssmr)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13279 by ale53
Trying to conceive was created by ale53
Hello-

Wondering if any one with superficial, non-invasive bladder cancer has gotten pregant?

I had a low grade, non-invasive tumor removed by TURB 1/25/08. This was my first tumor found by ultrasound incidentally. I had the ultrasound as a follow up to a miscarriage (at 6 weeks) that had been followed by 4 weeks of spotting.

We have been trying to conceive for almost two years. We have a 3 1/2 year old. I am 34 years old.

When I asked my urologist about trying to conceive and what the recommendations are for someone my age with this type of tumor, he said he basically didn't know. That there aren't that many women my age getting bladder cancer and even fewer that are trying to conceive or that are pregnant. He was concerned that if I was pregnant and needed TURB for a recurrence that would be an issue. His suggestion was to wait until we have the results from my next cystoscopy in three months before trying again. He also said that bladder tumors are not hormone-sensitive.

I looked on PubMed for research articles dealing with this and came away with a couple studies saying cystoscopy during pregnancy was okay. Nothing on TURB, anesthesia options, leaving a tumor until after delivery if one is found during a pregnancy, etc.

Has anyone dealt with this or asked their doctors about this? Any research into this that anyone knows about? Does anyone even do research on bladder cancer and women of child-bearing age???

I'll contact my ob/gync as a next step to get his opinion on the matter. Just curious if any of you have references or resources I can consult or any other advice.

Thanks in advance,
Lynn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne