Help/Advice Please

6 months 1 week ago #62022 by Shacky73
Replied by Shacky73 on topic Help/Advice Please
I used to work in nuclear medicine then sold contrast media.  A retrograde pyelogram is when the shoot dye/contrast media up the ureters to get a detailed view of the ureters and kidneys.  Contrast media can be irritating.  IF you ever have to have it again you might ask for isosmolar contrast media.  Not every place has it our will use it in these settings due to higher cost and lack of specific FDA indication.  Make sure they aren’t using ionic contrast media.

From most to least irritating are:
Ionic CM
Non-ionic CM
Isosmolar CM

some places continue to use ionic CM.  There are a coupe of good reasons but IMHO they do not outweigh the toxicity and irritation.

I’ve never had FISH test but had many cytologies come back abnormal.  In fact they all have.  As said previously they are known to be non-specific.  

You are fortunate to be tracked so diligently by your URO.

BTW I’m 4.5 years into my journey.  Had new tumor end of last year with TURBT and BCG.  Biopsies last month negative and having 3 week BCG maintenance as we speak.

T1 Grade 3 with CIS
The following user(s) said Thank You: joea73

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 1 week ago #62016 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Help/Advice Please
Hope you find nothing! Anyway, good luck and thanks for the update.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 months 2 weeks ago #62014 by busaman
Replied by busaman on topic Help/Advice Please
My primary doctor is ordering a PET scan just to see what might show up.  I've read they are not really used for bladder or kidney cancer.

6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #62013 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Help/Advice Please
Sorry you are still having issues. First, the FISH test and cytology are notorious for false positives among other errors. At some point you have simply go with the flow and trust someone.  Your URO appears to be on top of things, which is not easy with your medical history. Dark blood (brown) usually means older or blood that may have originated higher up such as your kidneys. It sounds like you had a test my wife had some 35 years ago that reads up into the kidneys. Retro pylogram (sp)? She did spend the night in the hospital as it was an afternoon test and it did cause pain. Sometimes one has to grit the test and get it done.

The good news is we never found the reason for her passing blood. It could have been a passed stone nicking her ureters or kidneys coming out. Maybe some exotic but unread or untested bug. Who knows? I'd trust your URO as it sounds like he is following standard protocol. Let's just hope it is nothing. Keep us advised as we all learn from each other. the

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

6 months 2 weeks ago #62010 by busaman
Help/Advice Please was created by busaman
I'm into my fourth year of bladder cancer, age 72, had a turbtt and bcg and no new tumors after many cystos.  But my FISH tests keep coming back positive.  An oncologist told me that I am a "wait and see" patient, that I just have to wait to see if I get any new tumors, and this makes my URO go crazy.
I have another cysto scheduled for February. In the meantime I had another FISH that was positive.  My cytologies sometimes just say "abnormal."
I had the procedure where the URO goes all the way up to the kidneys to look around.  I did not tolerate the aftermath of that procedure.  I had to have the stent removed early and afterwards I was in so much pain that Norco and Advil were not helping at all.
Last Friday I had a scary incident.  My pee came out dark brown, color of coca cola, only a little bit.  It was nothing like peeing blood which is reddish.  This was dark brown.  It has not happened again.  I told my URO and he again mentions that he will want to look in the kidneys and to go get another FISH.  I don't know if I could live through another one of those kidneys procedures, unless maybe they put me in the hospital and keep me on dilaudid or morphene for a few days.
Appreciate your comments.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne