Newly diagnosed yesterday with Focal urothelial carcinoma in situ

1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #62141 by Alan
Welcome bemehay,

The big majority of bladder cancer people diagnosed do survive. By the fact he is on BCG that means it is not muscle invasive or advanced further means his survival stats are even better. I don't care for stats anyway. As with most cancers, catching it early greatly increases living. Chances are good something else will get us. I am a survivor of almost 16 years.

I presume he is getting BCG because his is high grade which does add a little more risk. Keep in mind there are usually 2 types DX from papillary (mushroom like) to CIS, which is a flat, reddish lesion. That is what I had. I trust BCG works and you simply need to follow whatever regimen with follow up cystoscopes and he should be good. One added note. BCG often has tolerable but uncomfortable side effects. If this happens it usually means it is working. Also, remind yourselves that this is a lot better than taking systemic chemo.

Post as you go with other questions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #62140 by bemehay
 My husband was diagnosed yesterday with bladder cancer. You really get overwhelmed with the initial shock of the news. 
He will be starting BCG treatments first. 
After reading material it says 5 year survival rate 77%. Hopefully will be able to have quality of his life span.  He is very active.
I want to be very supportive and learn all about this kind of cancer. 
Any more help would be greatly appreciated. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne